VMware Communities
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish has been released and doesn't work

I am the bearer of more bad news.

As the subject says, the next release of Ubuntu (22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish") has been released by Canonical.

I downloaded the release and it will not boot. It likely includes a newer kernel that has the security updates (the Bad Kernel Week has now turned into a "Bad Kernel Month"..

There's no workaround for this until VMware addresses in the Tech Preview*

To add insult to injury:

• there is no Ubuntu Desktop release for ARM architectures (continuing a disappointing trend from Canonical). The Desktop release is only available for Intel architectures.
  • daily-live builds are no longer available for Jammy from the cdrom.ubuntu.com/daily-live web site.

* Well there might be a workaround if you want to do the science project of downloading 21.10, installing a "Mainline" kernel built before March 2022, marking the kernel so that it doesn't get updated, then performing an upgrade to 22.04 LTS using the instructions provided by Ubuntu... "Good luck. We're all counting on you"..

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
4 Replies
starryverso
Contributor
Contributor

The same as Fedora 36. Although Fedora 36 is beta now, it not works on the current VMware Fusion Preview.

And even if you are using Fedora 35, if you update to the latest kernel, it won't work.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So maybe we should start a thread on 'alternatives to ubuntu' for fusion VM's.  I tried getting debian built and running, but never was able to get the tools working properly.

It's not just the kernal/fusion bug, but also Ubuntu's pivot away from arm desktop releases, as well as their lack of a stable release that's available for reliable download.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Until VMware addresses the issues found with latest kernel patches borking booting of Linux, all ARM distributions are pretty much unusable unless you were lucky enough to have installed before March. 

Ubuntu Desktop is a lost cause for ARM IMHO. Server with desktop packages installed is a sort of kind of a reasonable alternative. Will wait for VMware to fix the TP before I solidify that recommendation though. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
bmn133
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos