VMware Communities
juanjansen
Contributor
Contributor

Errors installing Windows 11 64-bit on M1

I'm using the VM Fusion 22H2 latest ARM version on my Macbook PRO 16" M1 2021

I'm unable to get Windows 11 installed, I have downloaded the 64-bit Windows 11 ISO.

VM Fusion keeps booting into the UEFI Shell, it does not want to boot from the Windows 11 ISO, witch should be a Bootable ISO.

What I'm I doing wrong?

Tried change the bootsetting in the BIOS, But it keeps stopping at the uEFI shell

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you were able to get it working. I know that your conversion command line was correct so figured something else was awry. I retrace my steps from time to time to make sure what I think should work actually continues to work (and that I haven't imagined something).  

What I didn't realize is that if you make the mistake of keeping the .vhdx extension on both source and destination files (like my first example in the post script), the original source file is ruined in the process. You get no warning except that the conversion appears to go really, really quickly. Once you've ruined the original source, any further attempt to correct your mistake by re-converting the original vhdx to vmdk will appear to work. What you get, though, is garbage. 

I added the post-script because I've seen a rash of pxe boot posts here lately when people were trying to install from a converted Insider Preview VHDX file. I wanted to see if I could figure out what was really happening. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

I have found it should be Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned, no space between Remote and Signed 🙂

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ryan4vp My apologies for the typo. Thanks for the catch on that. I've edited that post to correct it.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
rfellows
Contributor
Contributor

How did you install from the ISO?  I also have a Winn11 ARM64 ISO.  It works just fine to install using a competitors product (Q-aralles).  I can also mount the ISO and browse and the format seems just fine.  However, booting that image in VMware Fusion Tech Preview does not work.  It tries either net boot or goes into UEFI shell.  

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I built my Windows 11 ARM64 ISO from uupdump.net following the instructions found in the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide found here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Tips-and-Techniques-for-the-Apple-Silicon... That ISO built from Microsoft's servers installs using the instructions from both the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide and the Tech Preview testing guide found here : https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview-Testing-Guide/ta...

There are also reports that certain Microsoft corporate licensing agreements and/or developer agreements provide access to Windows 11 ARM media, and that they boot with the Tech Preview.

Where did you obtain your ISO from? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you saved the ISO that Parallels created for you they install their own WIM boot to that ISO.  Not surprising it does not boot in Fusion.