VMware Communities
lupitaperalta
Contributor
Contributor

EFI shell on M2

Hello, this is my first time using VMware. I have new macbook air with an M2 chip. I've been trying trying to start my vm but have been unable to do so successfully. I've looked up a few videos on how to get past this efi shell, but they all involve FS, however my mapping table only shows BLK. How do I resolve this issue? I'm also using Ubuntu as the operating system if that information is useful. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 10.53.18 AM.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Strange. I’ve not seen this drop into the UEFI shell.
Is this an existing VM (if so, where did it come from) and what Ubuntu release  are you trying to use?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
lupitaperalta
Contributor
Contributor

I created a custom VM and I'm using ubuntu 22.04.1

0 Kudos
lupitaperalta
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also not sure if this was the right thing to do but this is how im trying to install ubuntu on the vm

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 11.39.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 11.40.01 AM.png

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You are using an x86-64 build of Ubuntu.  You need the ARM version.

0 Kudos
lupitaperalta
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the ARM version and am seeing the same thing. I shutdown and restarted the VM. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.04.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.04.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.05.54 PM.png

0 Kudos
lupitaperalta
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to use Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (Focal Fossa) Daily Build (64-bit ARM (ARMv8/AArch64) desktop image) and now I'm seeing 

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.52.15 PM.png

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@lupitaperalta wrote:

I created a custom VM and I'm using ubuntu 22.04.1

The 22.04.1 LTS installer will not boot on the Tech Preview due to Ubuntu not picking up Linux kernel patches that pretty much all other distros have. This is discussed in the 22H2 Tech Preview testing Guide. The Kinetic daily builds won't boot either (at least the daily builds as of 8/29). I'm hoping that the rumor mill is correct and Ubuntu will give Kinetic a 5.19 kernel before they release it in October.

See sections 10.3 and 10.4 in the the unofficial Tips and Techniques document for a procedure that will allow 22.04.1 to be used with the Tech Preview. It starts with installing 20.04.4 LTS, upgrading to 22.04.1, and installing a mainline 5.19 kernel immediately after the upgrade and before reboot.

I have no idea what kernel Ubuntu is putting into that 20.04.5 Daily (pre-release/development) build, but given their past history of messing up kernels with stuff that no other distribution does, I would not waste my time on it. 20.04.4 LTS is known to work. You can then upgrade to 22.04.1 using the procedures I recommend.

I would also start with a clean brand new virtual machine. Delete that one you are working with and start the installation procedure from the 20.04.4 LTS installer and a new virtual machine. You can drag and drop that 20.04.4 LTS ISO onto the New Virtual Machine dialog and it will detect that you're trying to install an Ubuntu virtual machine.

In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of Ubuntu right now. They are the most difficult to get running of the 9 Linux and Windows 11 VMs I've installed.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos