VMware Communities
Benjaminbatwing
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware fusion pro run on Mac M1 chip?

I recently purchased VMware fusion 12 pro and when I got the download link it was for intel based Macs. I have the new MacBook Pro M1, so do I need to return the software and purchase something else or will it run on my M1? Thanks

147 Replies
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed!

Leaving those features out kind of sucks... Hopefully things will get better later on.

/LS

0 Kudos
Cirrus20
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels on M1 is a Joke. We use VMs to test software on Windows and macOS. Windows needs to be ARM and whatever anyone says, it just is not the version that is installed on most Windows devices. But here's the killer, the macOS VMs do NOT even have snapshots functioning, the (almost) whole purpose of using VMs for testing. They do, apparently, have Linux working, but that's not in our use case so useless.

VMWare (Fusion) was a good product on INTEL. The fact that VMWare do not have a commercial release out after more than 2 years of the 'M' chip shows they just are not serious. It's almost as if they have given the development to the kid in the backroom to do in his spare time.

Our (compromise) solution is to use intel-based Macs to do the Virtualisation and testing for Windows and macOS and to use an 'M' based mac-mini for testing on the 'M' based platform. It's a PITA, but it is what it is.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You are 100% wrong.

Fusion has been commercially available on Apple Silicon Macs since Fusion 13 was released in late 2022. 13.5 released in late 2023 improved Windows 11 ARM support (gaining copy/paste and 3d acceleration)  Admittedly VMware has been slow and still has features that need to be added for Windows 11 ARM support but they have NOT ignored the new Macs  

But if your needs are to work with the same Windows that you deploy on Intel based PCs, you’ve chosen the wrong platform. That’s on Apple, not VMware or Parallels. There is no silver bullet that will allow you to run Intel operating systems on Apple Silicon. Your only hope would be to use an emulator such as QEMU (thats bundled with UTM as a prettier front end). But don’t expect great performance or stability. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Cirrus20
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't say 100%. I did not realise VMWare had release what I would consider a crippled version (note my opinion) commercially. So like Parallels, Windows ARM, no macOS and plenty of linux. Again, pretty much useless for me, but potentially useful for others. Regardless after more than 2 years a very disappointing offering (IMHO of course).

) Can I run a Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura virtual machine on my Apple Silicon Mac?

Not under Fusion.

Until VMware builds support for virtualization of macOS into Fusion, consider running macOS Monterey, Ventura, or Sonoma VMs using the open-source UTM (free at https://mac.getutm.app or $9.99 USD on the Mac App Store). UTM implements Apple's "high level" virtualization framework (that they are promoting as a feature of macOS Ventura and later).

There's no need to switch from Fusion to Parallels just to get macOS virtualization (NOTE BY ME: Paralles macOS virtualisation is garbage and not worth pursuing, we test on a hard machine because the VM is so poor). UTM provides the same features for macOS virtualization as Parallels does, but it costs a lot less.
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

macOS virtualization on Apple Silicon is a very frustrating issue for many users. Apple didn’t give virtualization providers much of a choice.

The Apple provided high level frameworks are not as feature rich as VMware’s. VMware apparently made the business decision not to use Apple’s high level virtualization framwwork like Parallels did. IMO that’s because it would be vastly different than their core virtualization technology and wouldn’t provide the level of features users would expect from a VMware product. I’ve heard whispers that VMware may be working on a more full featured macOS virtualization for Apple Silicon though.

The issue of  running Intel versions of of operating systems on Apple Silicon isn’t one that’s going to be solved any time soon, if at all. Breakthroughs would have to happen in emulation technologies. The whole situation is an unfortunate consequence of Apple’s switch off Intel CPUs. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK!

I just purchased VMware Fusion 13 and now I have a full version of Windows 11 up and running on my M1 Mac. One question though... I've installed VMware Tools, but its icon is not available in the system tray. Where can I find it (to check current version etc.)?

/LS

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@lensv 

You would be better to post your question here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/bd-p/3005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos