VMware Communities
JayInTech
Contributor
Contributor

Change display resolution Windows11 on M1

Hi,

I successfully got the Insider Program ARM64 preview of Windows 11 running on my M1 Macbook, even the internet.

Right now it's stuck in 1024x768 vga resolution.  Anyone with a tip on how I can get it to scale to 1920 x 1080 with the MIcrosoft Basic Display Adapter?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
k_ronny
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your help @k_ronny ! It worked! 

0 Kudos
tyll
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much! I have never even done anything in terminal/cmd whatever it is called and I was able to get it to work with your detailed guide. That is awesome! 

0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

A couple weeks ago I tried Win11 ARM on UTM 3.1.15 and, after installing "spice-guest-tools-0.164.3", I could easily change resolution directly from the Windows regular settings like running on pure hardware. GPU acceleration is also there and the feeling was quite good. Do you believe it would also work if installing Spice Guest on my Win11 fusion VM or do I run the risk of corrupting it all and/or getting into an irreversible situation? I make this question because the found solution below using GRUB is a bit above my current skills and a concern for me as well. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

0 Kudos
k_ronny
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, that will not work. To use the spice-guest tools you need the spice-server component integrated into Qemu/UTM.

https://www.spice-space.org/index.html 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

No.

Installing SPICE tools when running under the Tech Preview won’t help you. The virtualized  devices for QEMU are built so they can support the SPICE tools. The VMware virtualized devices are not. They are built for VMware Tools. My guess is that if you installed the SPICE tools in a windows for ARM VM they would not find a compatible device to attach to. 
Also there is no 3d support yet in the Tech Preview - although that may change according to hints dropped by @Mikero  and changes submitted to the Linux kernel.

There’s no way around this until VMware (and Microsoft?) decides to support Windows for ARM on M1. Then we’d see tools for Windows for ARM. This is more about supportabilty and licensing than technical capabilities.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
rileyowarren
Contributor
Contributor

What if it does not boot to windows after 2 second? I am stuck in the grub menu.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just did this following @k_ronny 's tutorial to the letter. It boots fine, so I suspect that there's something that you missed performing the procedure.

Can you get into the EFI boot firmware at all by starting the VM using Virtual Machine > Power on to Firmware? If you can, , then

Select the Boot Manager,

then select "Windows Boot Manager" (this should remain after you execute the procedure) and hit Enter.

I'd like to check if you have the grub boot components installed correctly, then we'll move on to the EFI firmware configuration to see if you did that correctly.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
RuhiR
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That video works but it isn’t the easiest method.

Why should you pollute your Mac with a Parallels installation that you will only use once rather than following the instructions in https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon... that doesn’t require it.

And the video creator complicates things when he says to disable network checks when just as easily could have installed the drivers at that point. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos