VMware Communities
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS 7 and CentoOS Stream 9 endloss loading when creating a vm

Hi I tried to create to a new vm and when I tried to load it it simply loads endless.

When I try with ubuntu or another os it simply accepts is and I can go further to set some settings ...

Does VMware Fusion not support centos Arch or what is here wrong?

I have a Macbook Pro 16" with Max Processor and I downloaded all images as AARCH:

CentOS-7-aarch64-Everything-2009.iso

CentOS-Stream-9-latest-aarch64-dvd1.iso

Can anybody here help me further with my problem,

that would be kind of you.

Kind regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like fedora is booting. First I tried the backup mode which did only boot but I couldn't anything to do wheter click nor write.

Now I have the same issue when I start it normally. I made a screenshot to show you guys ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

By the way I'm using VMWare Tech Fusion as software, tried also with the normal version no luck so far ...

0 Kudos
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Even the Fedora Workstation. seems not to quite ... There shows only a Fedora Logo on the bottom, but nothing goes further. I gave alls VM's 4 cores and 4 GB ram that should be quite enough ....

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for Fusion Tech Preview.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay thats fine for me, any help is appreciated ... Kind regards 🙂

0 Kudos
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like fedora is booting. First I tried the backup mode which did only boot but I couldn't anything to do wheter click nor write.

Now I have the same issue when I start it normally. I made a screenshot to show you guys ...

0 Kudos
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my opinion this software looks to be in an Alpha state, I tried about 5 different AARCH Distros with my Macbook Pro 16" 32GB Ram and MAX Processor and nothing works like expected. On windows I had really quite better experiences .... 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not that this software is an Alpha state. It actually worked quite well... up until about 2 weeks ago.

Linux kernel maintainers have pushed out updates to address security vulnerabilities. Unfortunately those updates break their use on the Tech Preview. These are being picked up by the distros, but the side effect is that distros that used to work (like Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, etc). no longer work after these new kernels are integrated into their products or they provide them as updates.

We are awaiting feedback from VMware as to what can be done to move forward. If you can find releases older than about 2 weeks ago and don't let them upgrade the kernel, that's the only thing that can be done right now.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also, CentOS 7 and 8 will never run on the Tech Preview. RHEL 7, 8  and associated releases were compiled with a 64K page size for ARM architecture. This setting is incompatible with Apple Silicon hardware.  RHEL 9 (and CentOS 9 Stream) now compile their kernels with 4K page sizes that are compatible.

This is a separate issue from the latest round of kernel security updates making their way through the distros. 

Earlier CentOS 9 Stream releases did install. My guess is that the latest version contains the kernel security fixes that cause the kernel to not boot on the Tech Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
elHoko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That would quite make sense, but i can't downgrade all Linux to older kernels and id not hoe it works for me. I Have a Odroid C2 running with Arch Linux as host OS and never had any probleme with it. the currently situation is really sad because of a bug most operations systems runt at all ,,,I guess ubuntu was running the only one running fine without any isasaues

0 Kudos
fabienmagagnosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

at present :
    _ Fedora 35 can run, and with nice graphics, but with kernel between 5.10 and 5.13
    _ ubuntu 21 and 22 can run, without any graphics (except if you manually install a kernel), and the kernel is 5.10.x actually

_ Debian 11 can run, without any graphics (except if you manually install a kernel), and the kernel is in 5.9.x actually

in all the cases, wayland need to be disabled.

As per why it's not "as good as bare metal" => it's actually why we are in this community, this is how to bring virtualization to the same quality as baremetal  by testing, and looking, following up, to make it possible.

So, good luck if you need for tomorrow a stable, platform, it maybe only next month, maybe next year, who knows

Note : FYI, I personally use this version as workstation, and build things on a amd64 cluster for now, and will later support aarch64, but it's a long shot which require to start now, and a lot of us are in this situation, looking forward, not back.

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As per why it's not "as good as bare metal" => it's actually why we are in this community, this is how to bring virtualization to the same quality as baremetal  by testing, and looking, following up, to make it possible.

Well said.  This process and community uses the term "Tech Preview", and I don't know if there's a consensus about definition, but AFAICT that's not "release", not "beta", and would argue not "alpha", since those all suggest to me that a product is scheduled to ship.  "Production" need not be mentioned. "Pre-Almost-Anything" might be a synonym.

0 Kudos