VMware Communities
Beeppoop
Contributor
Contributor

Can Atlas OS be installed on VMware Fusion

I'm having troubles installing Atlas OS on my VMware fusion i keep getting this error while on the startup bios "start pxe over ipv4" 

So is it even possible to install the atlas os on it ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The cause of the "pxe over ipv4" message is that the EFI firmware of the VM can not find a bootable OS on the virtual CD/DVD, virtual hard drive, or virtual USB drive. The next device it will try is the network  - a pxe boot.

Since you're posting here, are you running an Apple Silicon (M1/M2) Mac? Atlas appears to be a hack modification of Windows 10 for x64 (Intel) CPUs. Apple's switch to a non-Intel architecture CPU means Intel operating systems can not run on Apple Silicon Macs. If the EFI firmware in the VM finds an x64 based OS on whatever medium you are using, it can't boot it.

The only version of Windows that runs under Fusion on Apple Silicon is Windows 11 ARM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just downloaded the Atlas 0.5.2 latest ISO and examined it. It is indeed an x64 (Intel CPU) bootable ISO. This will not work on Fusion on Apple Silicon Macs (nor will it work on Parallels either).

It *may* work on UTM/QEMU under emulation of an x64 CPU, but the performance will be horrible.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos