VMware Communities
PerMildner
Contributor
Contributor

CPU performance counters (for Linux guests)

Has the performance counter support been added back for Intel (Linux-) guests on macOS Monterey (or later)?

It is needed for Linux record-and-replay functionality (rr-project.org), and currently keeps me at Catalina...

The outdated KB article at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81623 only mentions Big Sur and of course not any tech previews.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If I remember correctly, the reason that virtualized performance counters don't work is that Apple doesn't provide support for them in their hypervisor framework that Fusion is using.

In which case, there's nothing Fusion can do until Apple adds support.

(and VMware is not going back to their kernel extension based hypervisor on macOS, again due to Apple).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
PerMildner
Contributor
Contributor

According to the Apple documentation it is possible to use managed Model-Specific Registers, "Enabling performance counters that make a vCPU to look more like real hardware, allowing guest operating systems to measure app and kernel performance.".

So, it looks as if it is supposed to be possible to implement the CPU performance counters also in the new hypervisor framework.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion doesn't use the high level hypervisor framework.  Still, it'd be worth putting this in as an idea/request for the TP.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The documentation reference is for the hypervisor framework, not the high level virtualization framework.

The documentation pointed to is for Intel. I don't see anything similar for Apple Silicon.

Agreed with @ColoradoMarmot that this would be something to put forth as an idea in the ideas section.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[Original comment deleted as it was a duplicate of Techogeezer's.]

The OP was asking for Intel support.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos