VMware Communities
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor

Asahi Linux Gone Alpha this week - How to find ISO?

Hi everyone!

Asahi is now the first real experience people can get to run Linux on bare metal Mac M1 (Mini), however I'd prefer to give a try by creating and testing a VM in Fusion TP. Digging around, on Asahi's web site you can run a script to install "dual boot" on your SSD, but still did not find any link to an ISO. Have anyone already got it? If so, can you share the link? That will be surely very appreciated. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Best

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You would have to contact the Asahi Linux project to find out if they have an installation ISO. 

I would be curious to know if it would even work under Fusion. From what I've seen, Asahi is having to reverse engineer interfaces to the Apple M1 hardware in order to provide boot, graphics, networking and other devices. Those components aren't virtualized by Fusion at this time. For example, macOS on M1 doesn't use EFI boot, and Fusion only implements EFI boot for Linux on Apple Silicon. And it certainly doesn't virtualize the M1 networking, graphics, or SSD driver all of which are embedded in Apple Silicon and not standard PCI or NVMe.

VMware is still working out how they will change Fusion to virtual macOS on M1. When that happens, maybe Asahi Linux has the best change of being able to run.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor

Once again @Technogeezer 

Thanks a lot for your great support. You surely saved me a lot of time in my "try-and-see" approach. What I'll do instead is focus back in making Debian 11 go beyond 1024x768 in my screen. I see there're already a few posts on the topic in here, but with members fixing it in Suse and Ubuntu. Let's see if can make it in Debian as well. 

Best

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ReinaldoA1 As far as getting Debian 11 to change resolutions:

• Make sure you have installed a 5.15 or later updated kernel that has the vmwgfx (VMware virtual graphics) kernel driver. Those kernels are available from the bullseye-backports repository. See my Tips and Techniques doc for more info
  • Make sure that Wayland is disabled if running GNOME. 
  • If you're running KDE Plasma, there's a workaround to a KDE bug preventing screen resizing, again see my Tips and Techniques doc.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides