VMware Communities
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we th...

Yes, I am that kid in the back seat! 

1. Any word from the VMware demigods about when production will be released?
  2. Any knowledge of how the announcement will be made?  I come back here an check every so often, but It would be great if there was a mailing list for the announcement.

Cheers all!

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi 😃

1) Demigods? *blush* Thursday evening PST
2) Blog, Twitter, and this VMTN community area will get a facelift.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

WooHoo!

0 Kudos
JasonCox
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed that tech preview is now listed as `22H2` in the breadcrumb nav; which made me go looking and I found this:

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/get-download?downloadGroup=FUS-PUBTP-22H2

There's no binaries available yet, but it's something new to F5!

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

hah, dang... you found the magic link!

Yah, that'll be the page to refresh 😉

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Click...click...click...not there yet darn it....click....click....click 🙂

Really looking forward to the refresh - hoping to retire my other solutions and just use Crossover and Fusion.

We should start an FAQ on the questions that are likely to come up often:

• Windows Graphics - Yes 2D
  • Windows Networking - Yes!
  • Windows Shared Folders - Not Yet
  • Windows TPM support - Yes
  • Import OVA - Not yet
  • Import Parallels - No mention
  • Current Linux installers - yes but not for ubuntu or fedora
  • Ventura host support - no mention
  • Ventura guest support - Not yet
  • Big Sur/Monterey guest support - No mention (suspect no)
  • No, still no intel guest support (and of course, never will be)
  • esxi integration - No mention
  • P2V migrations - No
  • USB support - yes, but not fully tested

Think of any others?

0 Kudos
tmase
Contributor
Contributor

I could get 22H2 version!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yup, got it installed.  First blush is that Windows is now practical for some use, but rudimentary from a host integration perspective.  Networking, 2D Graphics, and most of all TPM and installation are vastly improved.  Overall a huge improvement, and most important now there's real hope for the future based on commentary in the preview guide.

Linux is a disappointment - still no Ubuntu, though sounds like more a Canonical issue than Fusion.  Curious though, as to what the kernel bugs are that impact Fusion but not other hypervisors.

Strongly recommend that folks read the preview guide before working with it (otherwise there will be 400 duplicate posts about issues).  Good news is that this one is vastly less fiddly than the original.

Note that there's a typo/error in the readme on the VMWare tools disk for Windows.  you have to enter that command in PowerShell, not terminal, before running the script.  The preview guide has it correct, so follow those instructions.  If you're upgrading an existing one with the debug driver, make sure you turn the debug network driver off before installing the new tools.  Make sure that UEFI secure boot is disabled in the VM settings, and reboot the VM.  Open terminal as an administrator, then run bcdedit /debug off.  Reboot and then install the new tools.

0 Kudos
lundman
Contributor
Contributor

"macOS virtual machines are out of scope for this release, but it's something we?re looking into."

Dang it, literally the only reason I want it, so I can do kext development for M1s. I have no interest in

VM'ing Windows, I can do that on Windows 🙂

0 Kudos
poorly
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case you haven't come across this for MacOS VM's VirtualBuddy 

0 Kudos