VMware Communities
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Anyone have any luck with Ubuntu 5.15 kernels?

I have had no luck getting any of the Ubuntu 5.15 kernels working. They all seem to hang at boot after displaying they're mounting the initramfs. The 5.14 kernels through 5.15.21 work fine.

Anyone had any luck getting these kernels to work?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
32 Replies
bradmoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this is happening to me as well.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you elaborate on "this is happening to me as well"? What exactly are you doing that doesn't work?

The changes to the grub configuration do appear to work for many of us.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
bradmoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not quite sure what those settings do, but they did work for me too.  thanks!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I’m not a kernel developer so I can’t tell you for sure. From what I’ve been told there is something in those Ubuntu kernels that is not discovering devices properly. The workaround forces that to happen until they fix whatever they broke. 
The strange thing is that this appears to be an issue only with Ubuntu. Kernel versions >= 5.14 from almost all other Linux distros I’ve found work fine without this change. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
bradmoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upgrading the kernel does not allow boot but grub changes does seem to workaround the problem.  so, i am now working.

0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there, 

I'm really sorry to bother you, but as I'm new on this, I need help with more detailed instructions on how to to edit /target/etc/default/grub. Just imagine that I just booted the ISO and now I have GRUB's menu in front of me. 

Thanks in advance for your support. 

Best 

0 Kudos
Zer0bytes84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi just use Grub Customizer and make old kernel first boot

regards

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you reviewed my tips and techniques document? https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Tips-Techniques-Gotchas-for-the-Tech...

Everything should be in there or pointing to resources that will guide you. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

GrubCustomizer won’t be of help if you’re running from the live installer environment. See my tips and techniques document for an easier way to get you started, then install GrubCustomizer on the installed system once you have it stabilized. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear all, 

I'm extremely grateful for all your support, but after hours, I had to gave up since it's too **bleep** hard for beginners to catch up. I just wanted a popular Linux VM available on my MacMini M1 to test and learn things. I was hoping Ubuntu was a priority to VMWARE on ARM and eventualy the easier option. Maybe I underestimated its installation by thinking it could be as easy as installing Windows 11. Now the solution to run Ubuntu is wait until someone brings something new or switch to another free tool like UTM. To my surprise, once I found an ISO image, Debian 11 installed flawlessly in very the first try. Since there are no VM tools at this time for it, I'll surely struggle in the new couple weeks to set screen resolution, shared folders, mouse and so on, but it will keep me busy until a VMWARE/ARM TP guide "for dummies" is released or a new TP version is released.  

Once again, thanks a lot for all your kind attention. That is all my fault. 

Best

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Debian 11 does have open-vm-tools that will install. Either download them from VMware as instructed in the TP Testing Guide, or add bullseye-backports as a repo and then they are available for installation.

Ubuntu has been a royal pain in the backside for a lot of us, including me. Fedora and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed have been much kinder to me.. (that is, until a recent kernel update for security purposes. Those changes result in kernels that won't boot on the Tech Preview, which means a lot of problems changes get back ported to older kernels and those kernels are picked up by the distros. Right now Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE are impacted as they've updated their kernels.)

See my Tips and Techniques doc: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Tips-Techniques-Gotchas-for-the-Tech... - if you haven't already. It should help you. And if it doesn't, post what isn't working for you - I'm all for trying to make that document better.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ReinaldoA1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again for your absurd support @Technogeezer 

After a couple hours struggling in a jungle of packages dependencies, I finally succeeded in installing VM Tools thanks to your incentive. Next I spent another couple of hours struggling to change the screen resolution to match my HD display (1920x1080) and/or bypass my limitations by connecting to the VM through RDP (xRDP). I failed in both ways, but I see this is part of the Linux learning process (where simple things turn into something as complex as buying a house in the US). Now it's time to keep the pace without abusing so much from you and the rest of the this community.

Thanks again for your time and attention. 

Best 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hopefully I haven't been too absurd, but glad to have helped - and you're not abusing... (at least I don't think so).

Connection to a Linux box via RDP protocols is a bit challenging. You may have better luck with VNC, but the configuration isn't very straightforward from what I remember. It's probably be a (re-) learning experience for me to figure it out once again.

Reminds me of an old sysadmin saying: "It's hard work being lazy" . Which in general terms means that sometimes it takes lot of work to make something look easy.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos