VMware Communities
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody losing the desktop environment when VM is left unattended?

When I leave Fusion for some period of time and come back to the running VM, I have only a black screen with only what looks like a cursor prompt on screen upper left, like what you might see on a virtual terminal that has not output anything yet.  I can't get the desktop back.

Ubuntu Server 21.10.
GNOME (installed via `tasksel`).

Will try:
* Server 20
* making sure all screen saving and blanking is off

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is looking to only happen if using Xubuntu, and possibly only on 21.10 Server, and possibly only for me.
Virtual terminal switching is not responsive; it doesn't look like the VT simply changing from 7 to some other one.

Switched to the stock Ubuntu desktop, so far so good.

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you also disable the wayland server?

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure didn't.

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very late reply but back then you had to disable Wayland in order to get things to work properly. With the new Tech Preview version out this step is no longer needed. However, do to changes in the kernel and various kinds of kernel bugs there are some issues with Ubuntu (as mentioned in the testing guide), some Linux distros might not work. Just make sure that you have a 5.18 or 5.19 kernel, seems that is needed with the new Tech Preview version.

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotcha, thanks for posting this.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@rhaleblianbeta : Take a look at the unofficial Tips and Techniques for the Apple Silicon Tech Preview 22H2  for a discussion on how to get Ubuntu working on the tech preview. 

Short version: all paths go through Ubuntu Server 20.04.4 LTS.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos