VMware Communities
ozsmacd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any additional pointers welcome to getting 20.04 LTS Server running would be welcome

Thank you to the community and @Technogeezer for the combined knowledge tech tips resource.  I'm not an expert at all in more advanced Linux topics, however can typical muddle my way through, however in this case.  I'm a bit stuck so would appreciate some pointers (yes I've read the forums and this tech tip resource best I can, my apologies if I've missed something obvious here).

Objective - Fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Arm Server (or desktop I don't care, but it seems server is the right choice given ARM availability) using latest version of VMware E.X.P (19431034) on my Mac Studio M1 (12.3.1).

Symptoms - With network disconnected, Linux install doesn't start when machine boots, it just shows a single cursor on the screen (screen shot below).  I've also tried the suggested GRUB boot modifications, but this doesn't change the outcome:

Screen shot 1 - Where the boot gets stuck (I left it for 1 hour just to make sure it wasn't working still)

ozsmacd_0-1651025494971.png

Screen shot 2 - Confirming network disconnected

ozsmacd_1-1651025528452.png

Screen shot 3 - Confirmation I get a GRUB menu on boot

ozsmacd_2-1651025590053.png

Install ISO - ubuntu-20.04-live-server-arm64.iso (downloaded within the last 48 hours), screen shot to confirm download location.

ozsmacd_3-1651025745300.png

I’ve reviewed this tech tip doc and other resources before posting so as to try to help myself before asking here:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Tips-Techniques-Gotchas-for-the-Tech...

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That’s the original 20.04 release. Try downloading the 20.04.4 from this link https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/20.04/release/ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-arm64.iso and retry the installation steps. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That’s the original 20.04 release. Try downloading the 20.04.4 from this link https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/20.04/release/ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-arm64.iso and retry the installation steps. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
ozsmacd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you @Technogeezer that is the solution, greatly appreciated (I assumed, bad thing to do, that 20.04 would have been fine as it was pre kernel patch also).

Installer just completed, machine coming up now.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Carl_Miner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu Server made its first appearance with the release of Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on June 1, 2010. As with every release since, Ubuntu images can be downloaded for either a desktop or a server platform.

The server release uses the same repositories as the desktop, so since inception, there has been a continuity between the editions. Ubuntu Server has always released sans GUI; due to the sharing of repositories, it is possible to install a graphical environment.

walgreenslistens

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@ozsmacd I found that the link I provided in my document no longer works to get you to the 20.04.4 ARM installer. All it seems to get you to is the amd64 versions. 

The direct link I posted above works fine. I'm going to change this in the next iteration of my document.

Thanks for helping to point this situation out. Canonical/Ubuntu messed changed things up once again.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos