VMware Communities
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

How's your experience with the Tech Preview going?

The team put a lot of work into this release, and I'd love to let them know how the community feels about it!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Tags (1)
77 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just one comment on the VHDX - those VM's expire and are in the dev channel.  Really want to avoid having folks find that out the hard way.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero wrote:

Re: Mantic... I'm hoping more people take it up with Ubuntu to give weight to supporting the use case of Ubuntu in Fusion on Macs with Apple silicon. I have it booted OOTB right now with the LiveCD OOTB, but I just can't log into the thing as it wants a username and password. (which apparently isn't 'ubuntu' and blank and i may have a workaround by TTY'ing and making a new user account which IS ABSOLUTELY BONKERS but alas...) lol. 

Good catch on the yum/dnf. I should have caught that, as we use tdnf in Photon.

Yet another Ubuntu issue. They always seem to be changing stuff that breaks things. You will be hard pressed to find a user account that you can use to log into the Mantic Desktop daily. As you've found the 'ubuntu' user doesn't even exist in the build. Root seems to be disabled, so it'll be interesting to see if you get in using tty. The only way I could get to a shell prompt was booting to single user mode. Then you realize that the environment is not persistent.

I wouldn't waste more time on Mantic Desktop dailies unless you have a lot to squander. At this point it's easier just to install Mantic Server dailies which do work quite nicely and then add the rest of the Desktop stuff. The Fusion 13 Companion will walk you through how to do that.

I've got a bug report into Canonical on this. They have a build bug for their live environments that's impacting more than just Fusion - it's at least arm64 in general and even Raspberry Pi. The last thing I saw on my bug report feedback from them is that they changed things in their build systems starting with Lunar (Lunar Desktop dailies don't work as well), and they've found that they haven't included some components that set up the live environment properly for platforms other than x64. No clue how long it's going to take them to fix this.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still no sound in W11 or am I missing something?

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sound on Win11 works great (and did in 13 too).

0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ColoradoMarmot you are absolutely right. Thank you. 

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I've not seen that. I've got sound with the 2023 TP in my W11 22H2 ARM VM running on Ventura. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tested it fully, but as I was trying to look up an error with OpenGL acceleration with an Ubuntu guest (on an M2 with 64Gb of RAM), I get the following error, in dmesg (viewable through ssh, the GUI doesn't work at all):

[drm:vmw_cotable_resize [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed waiting for cotable unbind.

I tried increasing the video ram allocated (4Gb) with no real effect.

I've verified opengl-related libraries are installed:

dpkg -s libglu1-mesa

Package: libglu1-mesa
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 314
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: arm64
Multi-Arch: same
Source: libglu
Version: 9.0.2-1
Replaces: libglu1
Provides: libglu1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.3.1), libopengl0, libstdc++6 (>= 5)
Conflicts: libglu1, mesag3 (<< 5.0.0-1), xlibmesa3

On a side note - I want to thank you for the tech preview.  I was worried with the lack of updates to the core product that it was dying on a vine, so to speak, and wasn't going to get further updates.  But the tech preview proved me wrong.

0 Kudos
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't try any of the graphical live-cds when installing Ubuntu.

I start with Ubuntu server, install there, then install `sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop`, with open-vm-tools/desktop, and it's working pretty well.

Well, minus graphical acceleration, which I responded below on.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@TheDarkTrumpet wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't try any of the graphical live-cds when installing Ubuntu.

I start with Ubuntu server, install there, then install `sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop`, with open-vm-tools/desktop, and it's working pretty well.

Well, minus graphical acceleration, which I responded below on.

Agreed. The live-cds just don't work at all for arm64 at this point in time. That's not anything to do with Fusion.

It's painfully obvious that Canonical just doesn't put the effort into Ubuntu for arm64 that they do for x64. arm64 seems to be an afterthought as they seem to be making changes that break things on arm64 builds. Other distros are much more arm64 friendly (Fedora, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed).

The Fusion 13 Companion Guide has a complete procedure for "converting" Ubuntu Server to Ubuntu Desktop. There are a few more steps than just installing the ubuntu-desktop package if you really want it to behave like Desktop. You'll need to install components for the snap store and convert the VM from using systemd-networkd to Network Manager in order for things to work as you'd expect.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@TheDarkTrumpet wrote:

I haven't tested it fully, but as I was trying to look up an error with OpenGL acceleration with an Ubuntu guest (on an M2 with 64Gb of RAM), I get the following error, in dmesg (viewable through ssh, the GUI doesn't work at all):

dpkg -s libglu1-mesa

What version of Ubuntu and what kernel version?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer wrote:

@TheDarkTrumpet wrote:

dpkg -s libglu1-mesa

What version of Ubuntu and what kernel version?

Kernel is: Linux ubuntu-miami 5.15.0-76-generic

Version is:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy

One thing mentioned was the unofficial guide, I forgot about that.  I installed everything myself without really any guide, so still using systemd for networking (which works fine for me), but the video information may be there - so will check it out just to be sure I didn't miss something there.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

5.15 kernels don't meet prerequisites for 3D acceleration for Fusion on arm64. You need a 5.19 kernel (containing an updated vmwgfx driver that supports 3D on arm64) and Mesa 22.1.1 or later.

You might want to try the HWE kernel in that Jammy VM. The HWE kernel package linux-image-genreic-hwe-22.10 contains a 5.19 series kernel.

You also need to ensure that the Mesa 3D version is 22.1.1 or later.

22.10 and 23.04 both contain these pre-requisites. You may have better luck with them. I've run the glxgears and glmark2 demos on those releases and they both get the acceleration for 3D. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
TheDarkTrumpet
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer wrote:

5.15 kernels don't meet prerequisites for 3D acceleration for Fusion on arm64. You need a 5.19 kernel (containing an updated vmwgfx driver that supports 3D on arm64) and Mesa 22.1.1 or later.

You might want to try the HWE kernel in that Jammy VM. The HWE kernel package linux-image-genreic-hwe-22.10 contains a 5.19 series kernel.

You also need to ensure that the Mesa 3D version is 22.1.1 or later.

22.10 and 23.04 both contain these pre-requisites. You may have better luck with them. I've run the glxgears and glmark2 demos on those releases and they both get the acceleration for 3D. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and put this here as well.  I see this in the guide as well (14.5 - https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon... for those that need it).

I applied that change and it works great.  I may also change the network as well, since I need to setup a way to selectively change the name server on some conditions via script, and it'll likely be easier (using sed) than systemctl or using netplan apply and moving files around.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mreid-tt
Contributor
Contributor

For my Windows 11 ARM deployment the addition of official VMWare Tools is a welcome addition. I wasn't sure if I needed to uninstall the previous drivers from the PowerShell script but so far seems to be okay with just installing over it.

One thing I noted was that the new graphics driver has things much sharper which is good. On initial boot however the screen with the Windows logo is much smaller (about a quarter of the size) on my M1 iMac but it settles down when the login screen loads up. Checking on the Windows Display settings it seems that my resolution was bumped to twice what it normally is and my scaling was changed to 200%.

With the additional drivers, there are also much fewer devices showing up as unknown in Device Manager. The only two remaining are "Base System Device" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller". The mouse scrolling using my trackpad is quick in Edge but does seem a bit sensitive (dunno if that was necessarily a change from before since I was using Microsoft Remote Desktop for moving files back and forth).

Overall, things in general seem quite stable for now. Good work guys!

0 Kudos
oaklodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have installed Windows 11 Arm64, then installed Visual Studio 2022 to develop and test an x86 app.

Seems to work great, maybe even faster than UTM.

Looking forward to having Shared Folders - have been connecting/disconnected an external USB 3 drive instead - works well

PLEASE when it comes time to make us pay - let us own it, subscriptions are a no go.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
za4
Contributor
Contributor

happy to hear, that multi-display does work for some.

for me it doesn't work though - I guess linux users still have to wait? It doesnt work in NixOS and it doesn't work in Ubuntu 23.04.

other than that I think the graphics are a bit faster (not to say perfect) - watching youtube videos is quite okay video and sound-wise

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

@Mikero please extend my thanks to the team for squashing the airplay bug.  I have my music back! 🎶

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

@oaklodge wrote:

Have installed Windows 11 Arm64, then installed Visual Studio 2022 to develop and test an x86 app.

Seems to work great, maybe even faster than UTM.

Looking forward to having Shared Folders - have been connecting/disconnected an external USB 3 drive instead - works well

PLEASE when it comes time to make us pay - let us own it, subscriptions are a no go.

Thanks.

FWIW, I just tried drag/drop...it did multi-gigabytes in moments.  Extremely fast, so it's a decent work around for the shared folder situation.

0 Kudos
Newtdude
Contributor
Contributor

So far so good and the build seems fast. The only thing missing is the ability to virtualize macOS. Most other solutions in the space allow this.

Any chance of this coming to VMware Fusion?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

MacOS has been depreciated as a guest OS as have the tools.

All that the other solutions are doing is to leverage the basic apple api (and there's no reason to pay for anything to do that).  It's really limited functionality.

Never say never, but there my guess is that there would have to be something pretty fundamental change to see it resurrected.

0 Kudos