VMware Global Community
StephaneF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MODEL VMDK SIZE GROW WHEN COPY

Hello

i have a VM with 200Go Hard drive disk.

I make a model --> 5 GO ( cause VM is empty )

When i copy this model on another datastore with 80 Go free space, i have a file system full.

It seems that he need 200 Go free .

Is there a solution except upgrade the destination datastore ?

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There may indeed be an issue with the Web client if the .vmdk files increase in size when moving, or copying them from one datastore to another.

Copying the files to the local PC will inflate the file, since - as mentioned before - thin provisioning is a file system feature.

A possible workaround in your case might be the export/import the VM using the Web client in the OVF format.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

How exactly are you trying to copy the .vmdk files (UI, CLI)?

Remember that thin provisioning is a file system feature. Only thin provisioning aware tools will be able to properly copy the files without expanding them to their provisioned size.

André

0 Kudos
StephaneF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

thanks for your feedback.

I copy ( or move ) the model with vSphere Web Client. ( Copy to local PC or move to another datastore managed by vSphere )

I remember having created the VM with thin provisioning option.

It's ok  when I export as a model on my PC but when i upload locally or move the directory containing the VM, the destination size is bigger.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There may indeed be an issue with the Web client if the .vmdk files increase in size when moving, or copying them from one datastore to another.

Copying the files to the local PC will inflate the file, since - as mentioned before - thin provisioning is a file system feature.

A possible workaround in your case might be the export/import the VM using the Web client in the OVF format.

André

0 Kudos
StephaneF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

effectively, export ovf model works.

Another way is to clone the VM.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos