VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

would you setup such environment?

If you have 3 esx hosts (each 2x qc cpu and 32gb ram), would you setup 6 big SQL VMs (each with 4vCPU and 16GB of mem)? If yes, how would you migrate such VMs between these 6 hosts. First problem I can see is amount of vRAM assigned - vmotion will take couple of minutes tto complete for every VM, second thing is MEM usage on hosts - in this scenario all 3 hosts will be loaded with host mem usage (each VM will then use about 12-14GB of host, showing in VC host view, right?)if so, how would you perform performance troubleshooting within OS if you think it is slower than on physical box? would you use 3rd party tools like Quest spotlight, or inside VM perfmon?

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ill try to answer but a lot of this is simply "It depends"

1) Would I setup six big SQL boxes on the described hardware.

It depends.

What it depends on is a few different factors 1) Disk subsystem with SQL's heavy IO disk configuration is going to be key. There are many factors to conceder in this scenario and I wont go through them all but it is a conditional yes in this case, I don't see the hardware or memory or vmotion time to be a particular bottleneck as long as you have all the right configuration to avoid bottlenecks

2) Performance troubleshooting

Again a complicated answer, your ratio's are alright but i would spend a lot of time in the normal places both inside the VM and the VIC itself, while there are more links in the chain there are many ways to get hints at some of those links

On VM:

Id be looking at the normal system metrics, CPU, RAM, Page file. As well as disk metrics such as Physical Disk sec/reads and sec/writes as well as SQL buffer cache hit ration and Target Server memory to balance memory usage on the system. A lot of these will give you hints to disk/memory/CPU bottlenecks

On host:

Overall CPU, Active memory and memory ballooning are all key to watch

These are SOME of the basics, sometimes your disk subsystem adds some features to watch as well and there may be more key ones to look at (In my examples I know networking 99.999 percent of the time is not a bottleneck either on the front end or my ISCSI network ... but on others it may be sometimes a problem therefore something more to look at)

Hope that gives you some insight

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

the strange thing is that, some big SQL VMs (like mentioned 4vCPU and 16GB of ram) show host mem usage about 10-14GB on host summary tab, and one SQL that also has 4vCPUs and 16GB RAM assigned shows host mem usage only 4GB. Does it mean, that these first machines use (or used in past) this ammount of mem? Is there any way to "refresh" their current mem usage (actually they use ~2-4GB of guest mem showed in VM). And if someone will ask me - hey - i see slower performance, then I will not be able to prove, that it is related to misconfigured SQL, and not with ESX hosts or VMware itself 😕

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos