VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is vmkping

Hi,

can anybody please tell me what is vmkping and how to use the options in that command ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vmkping stands for vmkernelping and uses the vmkernel ip rather than the service console ip address to send ping packets.

usage is as follows

vmkping -<option> address

-c how many packets

-i timeout

-s packte size

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rpartmann
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi,

vmkping sends a icmp_echo_request over the vmkernel interface.

-c how many packets

-i timeout

-s packte size

regards,

reinhard.

ps: Award points if you find answers helpful. Thanks.
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmkping issues pings from the vmotion interface (as opposed to the service console's vswif interface if you were to do a regular ping). It can be use to verify connectivity between the kernel interface and other hosts or IP storage arrays.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vmkping stands for vmkernelping and uses the vmkernel ip rather than the service console ip address to send ping packets.

usage is as follows

vmkping -<option> address

-c how many packets

-i timeout

-s packte size

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I know this is an old post but...why does using vmkping fix problems with HA on ESX hosts (as pointed out in other forum posts)?

Ta.

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think for two reasons.

1. it can firstly test if the connectivity between the vmkernel devices works or it doesn't..

2. sometimes just the reconnection of vmkiping to the other vmkernel device seems to solve some issues.

Go figure!!

Maish

Systems Administrator & Virtualization Architect

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
palkot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I have multiple vmkernel interfaces on my ESX, how would I know which one "vmkping" is using?

Lets say I have 2 vmkernel interfaces on my ESX. vmk0 and vmk1.

I guess I could use -I option to specify which interface to use for sending the ICMP packets?

0 Kudos