VMware Cloud Community
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vFOGLIGHT Design

I am in the process of setting up vfogflight and was looking for some advice.

I was looking at having a vFoglight web server which Administartors connect to and then a vFoglight collector sever which will have the agents installed as the vm will then need to talk to the vCenter

not too sure if this senario is best practice please advice . would be helpful if you could attached a drawing when replying as my vm design skills are not the best .....

Cheers

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you actually talked to Vizioncore? Or checked their website for any white papers?

http://www.vizioncore.com/products/vFoglight/

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i have and downloaded the white papaers cheers

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Also foglight is a VERY robust system. Some other products may need agents on one system and the web on another, but Foglight does not. Unless you have 5000 VM's you are managing with a single vCenter (which isn't possible anyway) you will not see performance issues in Foglight.

But vizioncore tech support via a PHONE is your best option to ask these questions.

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am looking at a system that is already installed and logged onto the managemener server .. looking rthe foglight configuration files I cannot see where it knows which vCneter to request stats from ..thats waht confusing me !!!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I cannot see where it knows which vCneter to request stats from ..thats waht confusing me !

There is an administrative part, where you setup vCenter. In there you choose the agent to connect to vcenter. That should tell you what vCenter it's pulling from.

But I am pretty sure vFoglight it configured to only allow 1 vCenter, so you may need an additional license

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments .. well this is the senario i think i have figured it out..:)

The exsisting system consists of a vFoglight management server (vm-Foglight ) with a mysql database.

There is also a vCollector server ( vCollector) running the vmware foglight collector service which during the installation was configured to coolect dat from the vCeneter.

Administrator log onto the vm-Foglight console and the dashboard is seem with all the alerts and alarms ...http://vm-Foglight:8080/console/page/main

Q

1 ) So i reckon to add another vCenter I would have to install another a vCollector server ( vCollector) running the vmware foglight collector service to pull data from the vCenter?

0 Kudos