VMware Cloud Community
infinitiguy
Contributor
Contributor

upgrading from standard license to enterprise (esx 3.0.1)

Here's the situation. I have 3 servers(only one of which has a license currently, standard)

We bought two more.. one of which will be used with the existing server in a vmotion/ha grouping, and the third will be using the current standard license. I also bought Virt Center.. and loaded my enterprise license up there.

The question is, how can I change my licensing around to ensure no downtime, or funnies(like the post I read about not being able to restart any VM's after upgrading)

Our enterprise licenses are full licenses so I assume I can point my current standard server at my VC, as well as one of my new servers, then just move the used standard license to my new server.

Anything I'm missing? I was going to load the standard license on one of my new servers and "try" an upgrade to see what it was like.. but then I was afraid of a license conflict and my existing ESX server shutting down in some security measure of sorts..

Thoughts are appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Seems ok to me.

You can lod the standard license on another host to try the upgrade without interfearing with the other host.

0 Kudos