VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

terminal servers (w2k8) - any specific configs for best performance?

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if you are aware about any TS specific configurations, that could maximize performance of W2k8 inside VM (right now on ESX3.5)

They will probably not overcommit memory, will be setup with 2vCPU and 8GB of ram, I was thinking about turning off Hyperthreaded Core Sharing (set to None) - is it then true, that VMs will not share cores with other VMs?

I also set reservations for 50% of cpu resources and 50% for RAM. Should this be enough to give it as much as possible?

And one more question. If you have host with 2xQuadCore, and you will set 4VMs with 2cpu each, is it anyhow possible, that they will share some cores even though there are enough free? If yes, how to disallow it, so 1 VM would have 2 cores just for itself?

Thanks for your inputs.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check This

~ Cheers,

~ Jain # Do not forget about points,if you found answer useful Heart

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also this

~ Cheers,

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Thanks, I will for sure take a look into it.

I have one more question, and how about pagefile placement? Should it be separate VMDK for pagefile (on separate datastore) or pagefile should be configured to be managed by Windows?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is recommended to have page file on 2nd virtual disk to improve performance of I/O operations.

~ Cheers,

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is recommended to have page file on 2nd virtual disk to improve performance of I/O operations.

~ Cheers,

I'd carefully consider the advantage to this, since hitting the swap in a virtual machine should be avoided by monitoring and adjusting memory or the number of hosts in your farm. More vmdk files equals more administration in my book and placing them on seperate datastores to increase IO or avoid storage snapshots is a no no, I learned this the hard way.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

For Terminal Servers I would just follow the best practices for Citrix VM's.

http://www.thincomputing.net/blog/citrix-and-terminal-servers-on-vmware-esx-3.html

I use 2vCPU's with 2GB of memory on our servers. With VMware tools I don't enable

the shared folders because it can interfere with folder redirection. We do use another

VMDK for page file, however, we do not store on different datastores because of the

administrative headache.

Mike

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Thx for your answer.I will try this

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:35 PM, msemon1 <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos