VMware Cloud Community
kaashifVTech
Contributor
Contributor

sizing for new setup

hi,

I have a unique requirement from a customer, who wants to build a complete new setup and start from Virtualization. Usually we do sizing based on reports of platespin powerrecon or Capacity analyzer, but these type of capacity are of existing setup.

Here everything is new, I just have a sheet with a list of services and required hardware resource, I need to map it on a VI.

Any comments or if anyone can help in finding a sizing sheet

Regards,

Kaashif

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Without an existing environment to analyze I would as a first cut size for the physical hardware requirements and see what environment you will need -- then take that model and and apply best practices like single vCOU applu a 20% reduction in memory tp accunt for TPS etx -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DavidKlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly. Size what hardware they currently have and map it to a set of physical hosts. The memory overcommit from TPS could vary, but I usually see gains around 10%. Do they have any business-critical apps in their environment (Exchange, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.)? Do you have a good sense for what they need in terms of storage?

David Klee | Founder and Chief Architect | Heraflux Technologies | dklee@heraflux.com
0 Kudos