VMware Cloud Community
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

running sql server 2007 within vmware

When our site purchased vmware, we were told by the installation tech that it was a bad idea to install/run a sql server within vmware because vmware itself it associated within an external sql server 2000.

Could somebody please elaborate on this for me? I assume he was talking about the esx servers database for vmotion on the external sql server.

We are wanting to setup a new sql server (2007) and if we can safely do it within vmware, we might as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

I've got about 100 SQL 2000 boxes running in VM guests on ESX.

Keep in mind, they are not high volume SQL boxes, but I don't have any issues.

I unfortunately don't have any SQL 2005 boxes in VM's.

And I think you are talking about SQL 2008, as there isn't a SQL 2007.

Also, for VM's running SQL, make sure you have plenty of spindles (many drives in your arrary) for the storage you plan to use for your SQL VMs.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

So the tech that came out to do the install was full of crap? I just checked my microsoft licensing and I was looking at wrong line, we have sql2005.

Our vmfs is a EMC AX-4 which has 11 active disks and 1 hot spare. Would that be sufficient? Our biggest volume will be caused by e-mail archiving.

But even after we put our sql server into vmware, we'll still need an external sqlserver for vmware, correct?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What that tech said makes NO sense - What I always tell my clients about virtualizing a sql is understand what is happening because there is no problem in virtualizing a sql server what you have to decide is are you willing to take the slight performamce that imposes by virtualizing the sql server over running natively on the hardware - I describe it this is way - lets say you work for a company where your sql server support a few thousands transactions per hour by virtualization you will do a 100 less - you might say that the savings over having a seprate piece of hardware is worth - now lets say you work for an online reailer doing hundred of thousands of transactions an hour - a 1000 less transactions could mean a 1000 less sales os that is important and you decide not to virtualize -

If you find this or another answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

No, you don't need an additional SQL server, if you have one running in a virtual machine.

Now, that being said, using VirtualCenter (requires SQL backend), it will be unavailable if the VM is down.

It is kind of a Chicken/Egg situation... Just make sure you can launch the VM from the ESX host for initial setup, as well as have High Availability configured, so the VM will restart on another host if the host it is running on fails.

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

"It is kind of a Chicken/Egg situation... Just make sure you can launch the VM from the ESX host for initial setup, as well as have High Availability configured, so the VM will restart on another host if the host it is running on fails."

This is what I may be worried about. I don't know how to launch vm's from the esx host...I only really use virtual center. I'm pretty sure HA is configured though.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

How many hosts do you have?

Also, you need to use the VI Client (as you do for VirtualCenter) to connect to your ESX hosts. You'll just need your root password, or another user configured on the ESX host that has rights.

It isn't a bad idea to virtualize your VC box... But there have been arguments both ways for quite a while around here...

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
ksuchewie
Contributor
Contributor

We have 2 ESX servers (physical), and 1 VC server (physical).

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

So if you had VC in a VM, you would have a 50% chance of picking the right box to start ESX back up on if you had to.

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Jase,

Since you have about 100 SQL servers, have you thought of using HP Polyserve its perfect for this SQL instances spraw and manage so perfectly.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Hey Stefan,

Because we provide loan origination software (lending) our SQL instances have to be separate for SOX/SAS70 compliance...

But we have thought about it.

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Oh ic, I didn't know you have such a compliance in your company but yeah HP Polyserve is a great box what you're having 100 SQL servers wow! How's that perform on ESX? How many SQL 2000/2005 servers do you run on each ESX host? RAM allocation details? Nice to know that works out great for you.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Actually, we run around 20 SQL boxes, and 35 to 40 application servers per 8-way host (Single core, 32GB RAM).

20 VM's with 256MB RAM

20 VM's with 512MB RAM

20 VM's with 768MB RAM

That's a typical configuration.

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Wow, that is less resources than I have in mind for your virtual machines. How would it run with 256MB for windows 2000 plus sql 2000 + process is running? That must be real low instances but if it works, man I have to look on that route! At a minimum our SQL 2005/Windows 2003 has 2048MB RAM and runs fine. Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos