VMware Cloud Community
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

redundant switch connections (verification)

Take a look at: [http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3esx_san_cfg.pdf]_ goto page 43 where it shows the diagram on how the host servers are wired to the switches and then how the switches are wired to the sp's.

I want to verify that this diagram is correct and that if the correct wiring that switch1 has 1 wire to sp1, and 1 wire to sp2, and ditto for switch2.

Some techs came in and connected our FC wiring with switch 1 both ports going to the two ports on sp1 and switch 2 both going to sp2, which seems completely fubar to me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like they have it wrong. If you lose one of your switches, you lose connectivity to the SP. In the diagram which is correct, if you lose a switch you can still access both SPs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like they have it wrong. If you lose one of your switches, you lose connectivity to the SP. In the diagram which is correct, if you lose a switch you can still access both SPs.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The one in the diagram is the correct wiring.

If i remember well years ago you could only have HBA1 seeing SP1 (theough SW1) and HBA2 seeing SP2 (theough SW2). This was done because there was a limit with regards to the number of path to the same LUN (2 in this case, 4 now in the case of the diagram you pointed out...).

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos