VMware Cloud Community
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nic failover

have dell 1955 blades with (2) cisco 3030 switches fro ethernet. one fiber from each switch goes to the core. switch a = vmnic0 and switch b = vmnic1. when i disconnect fiber from switch a everything goes down and it isnt failing over to the other nic. in vc on all host i have the physical adapters teamed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

By default, ESX relies on the LINK state of the pNIC to detect failure. With the blades, the ESX host's link is still good (it is still connected to the switch), so ESX doesn't know to switch. Your best option is to create a link between the two blade switches so they can route between each other. That way, if there is a link failure, the blade switch will detect and correct, rather than relying on the vSwitch.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

whats the best way to create the link

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Depends on the switches and the blade enclosure. I don't know about the Dell blades, but on the HP blades, there are two switch ports that serve as an interconnect between the two switches. You would typically trunk all VLANs between the two switches and they'll "be happy"

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
David_Ank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In IBM blades you can set the switch to failover when external link fails.

In that way your ESX will see the loss of connection.

This is the most simple and working way.

If you like to check your ESX Nic teaming simply pull out the blade switch...

I recommend to look for switch fail options.

I'll try to examine this switch properties and assist you.

Regards,

David

Regards, David
0 Kudos
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i was able to fix it with beacon probing

dell blades 1955 cisco 3030 switches

0 Kudos