VMware Cloud Community
gbras
Contributor
Contributor

iscsi flow control

Hi,

we have 1 ESX and 1 ESXi physical hosts, two iscsi SAN appliances: a dell MD3000i and a openfiler/linux one.

2 dedicated switches (dlink DGS-1216T) are managing iscsi traffic:the two SAN appliances have at least 2 ethernet NICS (cross) connected to the two switches.

each ESX/ESXi physical hosts has 2 dedicated physical NICs for iscsi, teamed for passive failover.

On the SAN we'll have a number of iscsi VMFS volumes, plus one iscsi volume directly accessed from within a win2k03 VM via MS iscsi initiator (they share the same pNICs and vNICs)

I read as much as I could on iscsi and I received (very appreciated) help from vmware community about building a good iscsi SAN but I'm still unsure about flow control. I suppose It's best to activate it on every part of the iscsi LAN. So:

-on our dlink 1216T switches I can selectively enable flow control, port by port;

-I unnderstand that dell MD 3000i auto-sets flow control on its NICs, if it finds flow control active on the corresponding switch port;

-I'm going to check how to enable flow control on openfiler/linux

-BUT what about ESX/ESXi? Do I need flow control on? if so, how can I enable flow control on pNICS and/or vNICS?

Thank you in advance

Guido

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Azriphale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First off, I would worry that much about flow-control. It will only help minimise the effects of having too much traffic for your bandwidth. If you are getting to the point where it will make a difference, you probably want to look somewhere else for a solution - buying a more powerful switch for example.

Secondly, have a look at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/52542. I suspect that will give you the answers you need.

Azi