VMware Cloud Community
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI VMFS partition sharing between two ESX host

Hi,

I have iSCSI SAN and two ESX 3.5 U3. Currently one of ESX box is using SAN for storing VMs into it. I want to share the same VMFS partition for another ESX box. Can any one tel me if its possible and also give me step by step process.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

It is possible and the storage config depends on storage vendor - what storage there?

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

Its Dell AX4-5i

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Christian

Can you please tell me the procedure to connect with Same VMFS.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

You simle configure the vmfs volume on only one Esx host, for the other Esx hosts you should present that lun with the same lun number (important).

Then you make rescan on the other Esx hosts and the lun/vmfs volume (datastore) should be shown.

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I already did that but when i am trying to add storage in another ESX it won't show me any LUN in that. Everything is fine, firewall port open properly, vkernel configured properly.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

The trick is not to add it - just go to configuration/storage adapters and simple rescan.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

We created a doccument for lower level support staff on this. It may help? maybe not...

Here is a cut and paste, the doccuemnt was called "Adding a second esx host"... It was never proof read or anything, but it did enable a couple of lower end support people to muddle through it an complete the task.

01/10/2009 - Add redundant ESX host

On the SAN

1. Add the new host and the new host group in one operation when you add the new host.

2. Move the current production host into the host group

3. Re-map the virtual disks to the disk group using the same LUN as it is now.

4. Note: above operation was weird on allowing the same lun to be mapped so don't freak out.

5. The Below operations take place on the new ESX host

6. Rescan HBA's on new host

7. Add storage. (The storage drives appeared and were all mapped correctly to the luns.

8. Add new virtual machine (custom)

9. Use correct same names as production esx host

10. Chose the correct disk group for the virtual machine

11. Use existing disk for the VM browse the correct disk group for the VDMK file. (c drive)

12. After VM shows up on console, add the second hard disk by once again using existing disk and browsing the correct virtual disk for the second needed VDMK file. Also make sure of any additional network cards to be added for some of our VM's

13. Note: I shutdown the VM(s) on the host that I was adding

14. Start VM(s) on new host and test.

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

i don't have problem with iSCSI software adaptor its already there. But to access the VMFS partition i need to add LUN in new ESX server and when i am trying to add storage on new ESX box it won't list out any existing VMFS partition in windows though i have rescan the host several times and infect i have restarted the host.

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

its been resolved, there is virtual disk assignment problem at SAN end.

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
Vaibhav_shah
Contributor
Contributor

hi

its resolved now as there was some problem with virtual disk assignment problem at SAN end.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Is the reason I made sure the host / host mapping was included in the doccuement, Luns have to match on my sans, but not others.

0 Kudos