VMware Cloud Community
greg935
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI SAN Solution

I'm looking into purchasing an iSCSI SAN solution and would like to get feedback on which vendors work best with vSphere. I've looked at EqualLogic and LeftHand and would like imput from people using these or other solutions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not at all.It wont make any difference in fact I prefer blades. LeftHand will work the same with Blades or Rackmount.

----

Peter Grant

Virtualization Consultant

Xtravirt.com

Please award points if you found this helpful

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LeftHand networks work great and I've designed a few enterprise storage solutions for customers using it. vSphere has some big improvements with iSCSI to improve performance, make sure you have at least 2 VMkernel ports and configure them so they each connect to one physical NIC. You then need to configure the iSCSI s/w initiator (assuming your using the sw initiator) for multipathing. This is all explained in the the vSphere iSCSI doc.

The key thing with designing / choosing a storage solution is to work out how many IOps your VMs (physical if converting) need. Use a capacity planning solution like Lanamark etc to do this. If you need any advice / help feel free to pm me direct.

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
greg935
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peter,

Thanks so much for the information, the LeftHand solution I'm looking at is the P4300 4.8TB SAS starter bundle which has (4) 1GB NICs. My current SAN is a EVA 4000 FC, if I add spindles to my EVA I'm limited in what I can do and the cost is very expensive. I thought a iSCSI solution would give me more flexibility for DR, Offsite Replication, Snapshots etc at a lower cost. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Greg Searing

Network Architect

Washington State Bar Association

1325 4th Ave., Ste 600

Seattle, WA 98101-2539

206-727-8253

gregs@wsba.org

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The 4300 '4.8 TB' solution will give you 1.83 USABLE TB of storage space. This is based on RAID 5 solution. Remember if you buy a 4300 4.8 TB SAS an you actually get 2 node so if you use 2-way mirroring which will give you the 1 node failour use get 1.83TB. 1.83 TB comes from 2-way mirroring plus RAID 5 loss. However LeftHand is very modular and VERY easy to manage and very modular. The more nodes you add the more performance you get. I think it's good for VMware solutions.

The IOps you'd expect for BAU (both nodes online) is about 2200 IOps. If one node fails then half the IOps..

LeftHand is a good solution, you get all the features like Thin Prov, Snapshots, and async replication (SRM supported).

4 x 1GBs Nics is a lot, and shouldnt be your bottleneck. If anything make sure your network infrastructure will support it and if need be buy 2 Gbs switches that support flow control. Congested networks tend to be the main bottleneck. iSCSI should at the least be on their own VLAN for security and performace. Read the iSCSI SAN guide from vmware, its pretty good!

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

greg935
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peter,

I forgot to mention that my ESX hosts are HP blades, do you see any issues in adding a lefthand solution into the mix.

Thanks,

Greg Searing

Network Architect

Washington State Bar Association

1325 4th Ave., Ste 600

Seattle, WA 98101-2539

206-727-8253

gregs@wsba.org

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not at all.It wont make any difference in fact I prefer blades. LeftHand will work the same with Blades or Rackmount.

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How many Hosts and VMs are you looking to run?

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

0 Kudos
greg935
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have 4 hosts, duel proc/core 2.33Ghz and 36 VM's.

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That sounds like a good balance all around. I dont see any probs with what you've described.

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

0 Kudos
greg935
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you heard any good things about EqualLogic?

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've never used it but it seems popular by some. All I've used for iSCSI is LeftHand solutions, they worked fine for me and did the job. I've used them on a few designs including enterprise deployments.

----

Peter Grant

Xtravirt.com

0 Kudos