Is this normal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you installed the Netapp iSCSI ESX Host Utilities on each ESX server? I also believe I saw a Netapp Engineer mention in his blog to disable the second card when booting from SAN.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ahh, read-only COS filesystems while booting from SAN, I remember those days.

Seriously though, I had about 12 months of issues while booting from SAN with dual Qlogic iSCSI HBAs. Check out one of my posts from the past, it's got a lot of info in it and I think "tslighter" also has a fix. We moved away from iscsi-boot-from-san about 9 months ago and we've never looked back. There are ways to set the proper timeouts in COS but there is no guarantee that a qlogic driver update won't blow away your settings you carefully tested and approved...this happened to me as well.

Don't do it.

Ben

0 Kudos
CTurnerTX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ben,

What alternative did you settle on? Local storage for booting ESX, using FC? I think a PXE boot into ESX would be the bees knees.

Amazing what a few minutes of googling will do - I found PXE booting for installing ESX!

(found from )

Still would like to know what you settled on, Ben!

Message was edited by: CTurnerTX

Edit of my edit again: That wasn't what I wanted after all.. That lets you PXE boot to install ESX on local drives. Maybe this site: http://www.chriswolf.com/?p=182

Really would love to have a bladecenter full of HS21 XM's with no drives at all inside Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We boot 100% of our ESX servers using a local Raid-1, we're doing this on blades and stand-alone servers. After we moved away from boot-from-san we never looked back. We don't mind having the 2 disks in each server. The pain of figuring out and debugging the proper settings for iSCSI boot-from-san was not worth the time. Making things worse, we couldn't be sure a future ESX update wouldn't change some of the boot-from-san settings that we 'got used to'.

Ben

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you installed the Netapp iSCSI ESX Host Utilities on each ESX server? I also believe I saw a Netapp Engineer mention in his blog to disable the second card when booting from SAN.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos
mrose1120istar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

actually it ended up being the 2nd card disabling Smiley Happy

we've been running just fine on iSCSI boot since a couple days after this post now

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

great! Now you should start pulling path1 or path2 and see what happens to the COS.

Check out my thread here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109496 and check out Tom Howarth's answers.

Ben

0 Kudos