VMware Cloud Community
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor

how to configure iSCSI with sw iscsi initiator in ESx 3.5

I have an ESX 3.5 server with sw iscsi initiator enabled.

Currently i configure iscsi sessions using Dynamic discovery method by adding a target ip address. This automatically establishes the connection.

But none of these sessions connections are displayed in the iSCSI sw.

Im would like to know

The add / edit / remove buttons in static discovery tab are not enabled. How to get those button enabled or why they are enabled.

Once iscsi sessions are established using dynamic discovery , those sessions are not displayed.How to get those iscsi session to be displayed

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

Static discovery only works with a HW iSCSI Initiator (HBA).

what do you mean with sessions? The available iSCSI Targets (LUNs)? Look in the storage adapter view, click on the iSCSI hba (e.g. vmhba32) and you get a list of the LUNs

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info on static discovery

=> what do you mean with sessions? The available iSCSI Targets (LUNs)? Look in the storage adapter view, click on the iSCSI hba (e.g. vmhba32) and you get a list of the LUNs

a: for example, with MS iSCSI initiator, when a target discovery ip is entered in Discovery Tab , the discovered targets are displayed in Targets Tab with this status, such log on.

Irrespective of LUNs associated using iscsi targets, these session should be logged on , otherwise they may not appear at host.

As you stated, from storage adapter view, i can see those LUNs associated when the iscsi session is connected.

yesterday i was able to figure out the location from service console , where to look out for iscsi target entries, /proc/scsi/vmkiscsi/

Here they list the iscsi target discovered , i was looking for those entries in the SW iscsi application.

0 Kudos