VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to calculate new host server CPU resources capacity??

When shopping server processors??

For example if I am spec'ing an HP DL380p Gen8 server with two(2) 8-core processors and each processor is rated at 2.0 Ghx, is the total available CPU 16 Ghx or 32 Ghx or 64 Ghx??

If it's only 16 Ghx that is not good for me...the servers being replaced all peak at 4-5 Ghx...

Note: this is not for HA etc. -- it's to ensure I buy the right size processor so I have enough Mhx and Ghx for all the VMs on the server, I don't want the server to be under-powered, it has to run 30-40 VMs on it...

Thank you, Tom

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Tom!

Can you explain why you confused about total capasity of 16 cores (х2 GHz each)? Rougly you may cout 32 GHz + ~20% for using Hyper-Treading and of course some % for free CPU resources.

Another question: can you vm use all this resources effectively. How many memory do you panned to use in one server?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EGarbuzov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, Tom!

Can you explain why you confused about total capasity of 16 cores (х2 GHz each)? Rougly you may cout 32 GHz + ~20% for using Hyper-Treading and of course some % for free CPU resources.

Another question: can you vm use all this resources effectively. How many memory do you panned to use in one server?

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got confused with cores vs. hyperthreading etc.

Now I understand it’s ((2*8)*2.0) = 32 Ghx for two processors total within the one server.

I'll be better off spec'ing a 2.2 Ghz processor, 16 * 2.2 = 35.2 Ghx

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos