VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

how to automate VM deployment process?

Are there any sources where I could find info how to automate deployment of VMs? For example If I have to deploy 100 VMs, how to script it, or maybe there are tools to do so?

Thanks in advance for answers.

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I haven't tested it yet but it should work if you have the VI toolkit install. If its only 10-20 why not schedule tasks to clone it from vCenter and set the Frequency to repeat itself hourly and stop it once you've done with all of them?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have several options, but for 100 VMs, I would look at LUN cloning feature on the storage side so you only need to do once and NetApp has pretty good solution for that purpose especially on the VDI solutions. You can also schedule tasks to clone from templates as much as you want and for clone scripting, here is a vmclone.pl script you can look and alter otherwise post script questions on other forum to have better audience.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok, I will also take a look into Netapp tools to clone whole luns, but what about smaller number, lets say 10-20, can this be scripted with this pl script?

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I haven't tested it yet but it should work if you have the VI toolkit install. If its only 10-20 why not schedule tasks to clone it from vCenter and set the Frequency to repeat itself hourly and stop it once you've done with all of them?

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer. This is probably how this will go...

0 Kudos