VMware Cloud Community
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hardware replacement/refresh strategy in light of virtualization

I'm curious what other orgs' hardware replacement strategy is and how it's affected by virtualization.  Ours is greatly affected by virtualization and the fact that our virtual environment is continually getting more and more dense (more VMs crammed into a smaller and smaller footprint).  To keep it simple, let's keep all discussion to x86 servers, storage, and network infrastructure (no pseries, LPAR virtualization, etc).

Issues/values we consider include:

1. Keeping virtualization host machines vMotion compatible is desirable
  2. Keeping our virtualization environment as dense as possible achieves the greatest efficiencies in terms of power, cooling, and real estate
  3. As machine hardware ages, not only does it's value decrease but the cost to maintain and/or upgrade it increases
  4. Our virtualization footprint (our % virtualized) will only increase, not decrease, for the foreseeable future (there's reasons I could go into to unpack this, but for now, just take it as a given)
  5. The business demands that we act as efficiently as possible and be as good of a steward of our company's resources as possible (no shiny toys unless shiny makes money; in other words: newer doesn't mean better unless it also means more revenue or cost savings)

Are there other issues you consider in your org?  What pain points and conflicting issues do you find come up?  One for us is this:  how do we be good stewards with slightly older servers that aren't vmotion compatible with newer, more dense servers?  We've actually found that perfectly good blades that are 4-5 years old are actually less valuable than the air inside an empty blade chassis slot (in other words, the value of having an empty blade slot for a future, new blade is greater than these older blades that are prohibitively expensive to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

Benny Hauk Systems Admin, VCP3/VCP4 LifeWay Chrstian Resources
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Hardware refresh has become much simpler with virtualization - when staying at the same release level of the hypervisor all you need to is present the shared storage to the new ESXi hosts and vmotion to the new server if the CPUs are compatible - if thery are not you can eitehr build new clusters with EVC enabled or VM by vm power it down adn remove it from the old environment and add it to the environment -

If you are also upgrading to a new version of vSphere VMware has done a good job of letting the new version manage older versions of vSphere

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can appreciate your need to want to think this through, but like the other poster inferred, its not a big deal.  As long as your cluster is sized for at least N+1 from a host perspective, then as they age, replace them as needed.  Rolling hardware upgrades happen all the time, and they VMs none the wiser.  Their CAN be some benefit to keeping the hardware as similar as possible (chipset features, and calculating HA N+1 numbers when you have similar amounts of RAM, and compute)

I recently had a situation where I replaced 4 of my 7 nodes from old harpertown based Intel processors to Sandybridge processors.  Double the amount of physical cores (8 compared to 16), quadrupal the amount of logical cores (8 compared to 32), and 6 times the mount of RAM.  That progress easily absorbed the internal demands.  It was such a significant change that it made a legitimate argument for not using up valuable vSphere licenses on older physical hosts.  It's just not worth it.

0 Kudos