VMware Cloud Community
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

deploy VM from template -- changing hdd size

hi ,

i have quick question,

i have one template of win2k3 and it has system harddisk of 36 Gb , now i want to deploy a VM out of it but need to have 18 Gb system hardisk size, is it possible ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you run the disk extension before the VM powers on using vmkfstools.

Disk/Partition... you want to increase the C: drive corrrect? It will work, but you have to extend the Disk/Partiton before you power on the VM.

hope this helps.

please don't forget to award points for helpful/correct answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

not during the deployment.

you can change the when the deploy is finished.

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you might want to take a look at this whitepaper

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thnaks for the reply ...

good technic for increasing partition size, but i want to decrease the disk size.

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks,

but how to decrease the disk size after deploye -? ( not partition size but disk size )

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the best bet would be to make a new template with the disk size you want. I don't know of a way to decrease the size of a disk during deployment off of a template.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Couldn't he just power on the template as a VM and use converter and lessen the hdd size and then just newsid/or sysprep it? Granded it's not deploying the template but close enough Smiley Happy

- Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, that would work. I just think the OP is looking for a way to do this off of deployment. Descreasing the size during deployment, in my opinion, just is not possible.

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

-- yes i am

doing the same thing all the time --- deploy -- V2V -

sysprep ...etc..

Troy Clavell --

you are right ... i am looking for a way to change hdd size at a time of

deploying ..

Because it is nice to have 1 OS template rather than 10s of templates with

every possible hdd sizes ...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so why not make a small template with a small HDD size, maybe 6GB, then use the document i posted earlier and deploy new VM's off that template and increase the disk size, instead of trying to decrease,which cannot be done, that I know of, during deployment.

khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I agree with Troy here, if you only want one template, you need to make it small so you can grow it to the right size. The deploy feature is really just a fantsy clone & sysprep tool. If you want to keep your current template to make smaller disk sizes, you'll be stuck with the v2v process unfortunatly, or until VMware comes out with a way to modify the sizes during a deploy (which isn't a bad idea to try and push for)

- Kyle

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi troy,

the document you posted is for increasing the Partition size if the disk has free space ... it want increase the disk size ..

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Check out this thread, has all the information you'll need on increasing the disk size:

- Kyle

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you run the disk extension before the VM powers on using vmkfstools.

Disk/Partition... you want to increase the C: drive corrrect? It will work, but you have to extend the Disk/Partiton before you power on the VM.

hope this helps.

please don't forget to award points for helpful/correct answers

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kyle --- thanks for a helpful link

Troy --- i think you are right i have to go with what you have suggested ...

Both of you thanks again for a wonderful and quick help ..

0 Kudos
vijayalka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy...Good Idea.

0 Kudos
robotdecocinato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the white paper,

My problem was i want to increase the partition HDD on my project because i downloaded lot of images and my VM was showing all the time the message i don't have more room.

I work on web design you can check http://robotdecocinatop.com/

So now is all fixed!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos