VMware Cloud Community
wb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

backup ESXi embedded config

What's the easiest way to backup / restore and ESXi embedded machine's configuration? Can I run a script that would backup each day using a scheduled task? How easy is it to restore it? I have Infrastructure 3.5 update 4 licensed as Enterprise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can use the vCLI/RCLI esxcfg-cfgbackup/vicfg-cfgbackup.pl, take a look at the example at Dave's site:

• *This can be executed on either a Windows/Linux machine installed with the vCLI/RCLI or using VMware VIMA and can be scheduled as a task.

• *You'll be able to backup/restore using --save and --load params

• *Since you're licensed with Enterprise, you'll have full r/w access to the VI API which is necessary for any write operations the vCLI/RCLI is to perform.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can use the vCLI/RCLI esxcfg-cfgbackup/vicfg-cfgbackup.pl, take a look at the example at Dave's site:

• *This can be executed on either a Windows/Linux machine installed with the vCLI/RCLI or using VMware VIMA and can be scheduled as a task.

• *You'll be able to backup/restore using --save and --load params

• *Since you're licensed with Enterprise, you'll have full r/w access to the VI API which is necessary for any write operations the vCLI/RCLI is to perform.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. My next dumb question is where do I get vCLI/RCLI ? Is this 3rd party or part of vmware?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can download vCLI/RCLI here:

Here's some information about vCLI/RCLI/VIMA/etc.

These are tools created/supported by VMware

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

wb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've installed the rcli and attempted to run the command vicfg-cfgbackup but it says it's not recognized as an internal or external command. I must be missing something.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

What OS did you install it on? If it's Windows, you'll need to navigate to the RCLI folder and execute the command as it's not setup to be found in the PATH variable.

Try the following and do a dir to see the available comamnds:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry guys, I just had to reboot the VM. It's working great now. 2 questions though. I noticed the rcli download said update 2. Will this work fine with my ESXi embedded update 4 setup? Also, is this really everything I need to backup all the settings of my ESXi embedded host?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Yes, it'll work on U4. The basic configuration of the ESXi host will be in the backup file, remember this is not a substitute for your VM backup.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos