VMware Cloud Community
ianbert
Contributor
Contributor

Who's Using NFS for VMWare?

I just wanted to see who in the area is also using NFS for hosting VM on their production DataStore.

Has anyone out here been hit with the "SplitBrain" condition because they turned off NFS locking?

Look forward to meeting everyone at the next mtg!

Ian, SysAdmin - Arizona Tile

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Ian

Welcome to the forums, I have moved your thread into a more appropiate forum area for access to a greater audience.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
PhilipArnason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use NFS on Netapp with Vmware. It's 'effn fantastic. Have never experienced the splitbrian condition.

Philip

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you have enough bandwidth infrastructure with NetApp appliances, NFS is the way to go and you can get more case studies from NetApp sales engineer anytime or ask their partners to come in and present to you know great NFS work with NetApp gear. I've personally enjoy working with NetApp product on NFS/VMware solutions.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
terrible_towel
Contributor
Contributor

I use a NetApp for my datastore over NFS also. The flexibility that NFS gives is great.

But I do have an issue with deleting VM snapshots. If I take a VM snapshot, do a datastore based copy, and then delete the VM snapshot -- Sometimes the guest OS hangs while its VM snapshot is being deleted. This is on a fast, lightly loaded NetApp with FC disks. The VM snapshot is only a few mins old, yet it can take upwards of 3 mins to delete. It's during this time that the guest OS hangs. From multiple posts on the forums (see below), it seems like doing this over NFS may be a common link. I have a couple of VM's that will experience this hang everytime. So as an experiment, I moved this VM's datastore to another NetApp using an iSCSI datastore. The snapshot deletes went from 2-3 mins to under 10 seconds.

Should I just accept this as 'NFS is slow compared to iSCSI ' and move on ?

Thanks,

Paul

Other threads about snapshots delete's hanging the guest OSs:

Snapshots take long time to commit -

Beware the long snapshot -

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

I have used NFS before on a reasonably well sized production environment with no issue'.

Carl

0 Kudos