VMware Cloud Community
tiger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which product to choose?

Hi all,

I'm in confusion here.

We are planning to use embedded ESXi3.5 on IBM HS21XM and IBM N3300-A10 NAS storage

I'm trying to set it up using IBM Standalone Configuration tool, where we can mix and match different parts for the server, storage, etc, including the software (VMware).

So, which VMware product should I choose:

a. Should I choose individual product such as ESXi3, VC, VMotion, etc?

b. Or, should I choose VMware Infrastructure? I understand VI contains all these products? ESXi, VC, VMotion, DRS, etc?

b2. If I choose VI, can I only use the feature that I need? So, the license cost could be lower?

Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No ESXi can do everything the ESX version can do but you will just need to buy the licenses - I would look at the one of the bundles packages because you will end up saving money over buying the indiviual products -

Everything but the VMware Virtual Center Management Server is licensed per socket - so for example you decide to buy 12 socket licenses for ESX, VC agent, DRS, Vmotion and HA - this will allow you to set up 6 dual proc ESX hosts or 3 Quad proc host or any combination in between and you will be able to use these host for vmotion, DRS, HA and have them be part of a VC environemnt -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

someone please correct me if this is wrong but is how i thought was.

ESXi 3.5 is a standalone product. it is free (coming soon on HP chipset )

you can do unsupported things with ESXi like, connect via ssh with a small change.

it is standalone and will not work with a VIC, Vmotion is also useless with ESXi.

ESXi 3.5 and NAS storage i dont know if that is supported??

One piece of information i did get and was uncertain of its accuracy is the following.

If you are running ESXi 3.5 and you punch in a regular 3.5 license it will magically change and give you all the features of a real 3.5 host. Not sure if this is true.

This would mean you could then connect it to a VIC and use Vmotion.

I have my doubts of this statement as the ESXi install is like 40 meg, and the full install if ESX is 400meg....................

tiger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What?!

ESXi3.5 cannot work with all thodse feature of VI? VMotion, VirtualCenter??

Oh man, I'm really confused here. Can someone help me on definite truth?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No ESXi can do everything the ESX version can do but you will just need to buy the licenses - I would look at the one of the bundles packages because you will end up saving money over buying the indiviual products -

Everything but the VMware Virtual Center Management Server is licensed per socket - so for example you decide to buy 12 socket licenses for ESX, VC agent, DRS, Vmotion and HA - this will allow you to set up 6 dual proc ESX hosts or 3 Quad proc host or any combination in between and you will be able to use these host for vmotion, DRS, HA and have them be part of a VC environemnt -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tiger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks weinstein,

So, is this the package you're refering to?

VMware Infrastructure Enterprise - 2 Sockets License Only

VMware ESX Server 3i - 2 Sockets - 3 Year Subscription

0 Kudos
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so if esxi can do the same as esx the only difference is that esxi will run vm's without a license. at that point you cant use vmotion and the rest.....

if that is the case why is the install for esxi only 40meg and the install for 400meg.

i think that there must be another difference......

what about the license cost? for the same amount of sockets, no other features, do they cost the same?

ohh and they look nothing alike, during install and once booted..

now i'm confused

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It all depends on what you are looking for - If you are looking for the full suite of VI-3 functionality I would look at the Enterprise - also take a look some of the accelerations kits because that will include the license for your hosts as well as the VC server -

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The difference is that ESX contains a service console, which allows some nice things like running your own harware agents and doing PXE installs, which cant be done with ESXi.

But the basic feature set is, indeed, the same.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us