VMware Cloud Community
akemi
Contributor
Contributor

Which is a better SAN to consider?

hi.. pretty new to virtualization.. And am not sure if the SAN brands can be discussed here.

Currently am looking at a few storage from the mkt. Namely DELL & HP. But my virtualization env is pretty small, about 10 VMs for the startup.

Do you think if i look @ the CX or EVA model. Would it be overkill? And also how does the caching of the storage affects the virtual servers?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on these. thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ivp2k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might consider reading existing threads on SANs here --- there are tons of them.

Here I will say what I always say:

1. The best SAN technology is the one you have some investments in.

2. Failing clause one (no investments in SANs) and no extra details about the setup given, iSCSI is likely to be a better option.

Vendor choice is more a religious question. Dell (really, Dell/EMC, since you've mentioned Dell) iSCSI line is one of the "bang for the buck" (performance/price ratio) industry leaders.

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Some other factors:

1) Budget - do you currently have one?

2) What technology are you looking at? If iScsi you have to look at your switch infrastructure as well and make sure you have a proper config/setup of your ESX hardware for example.

3) What are the plans for growth? You stated about 10vm's but if that will increase you need to account for that.

4) What type of applications are you going to be running? What type of performance do they need? How about redundancy? Disaster Recovery?

All of these things and more should be considered. You don't want to invest in a SAN that will not serve your needs in the next 3 years.

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos