VMware Cloud Community
air-wolf
Contributor
Contributor

Which box to upgrade first?

I have the front end exchange 2003 in VM and the backend is physical 2003. I want to upgrade the backend to be came VM server and then upgrade both server to exchange 2007.

What is the recommended process for this? Can someone please share...

Should I upgrade the front end exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 first? then P2V the backend exchange 2003 to VM before upgrade to exchange 2007?

Please share your thought...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
patrickds
Expert
Expert

I would virtualize the physical machine first.

That way you can use snapshots for testing and maybe even fall back to the physical box if something goes wrong.

You could then also clone both VMs (and a domain controller), and set up a testing environment in a separate (virtual) network, and test your entire upgrade procedure before doing it on your production systems.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Even though P2V would work just fine but I would recommend performing a migration to Exchange 2007 by creating a new exchange 2007 server and migrate your mailboxes over.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
air-wolf
Contributor
Contributor

I would do the way you recommend but one think I'm not so clear on because I have front end exchange 2003. my question is: Do I need to upgrade the front end to exchange 2007 first before put in the backend and move the mailbox from 2003 to 2007 then decommision the 2003 backend after all mailboxes had been moved?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you do not install the Mailbox, Hub Transport, Client Access, and Unified Messaging server roles on a single computer, you should install the Exchange 2007 server roles on separate computers in the following order:

• Client Access server role

• Hub Transport server role

• Mailbox server role

• Unified Messaging server role

I recommend that you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles before installing the Mailbox server role. If you install the Mailbox server first, you will not have client access or mail flow to or from the Mailbox server until you install the Client Access and Hub Transport server roles.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can also check out MS Exchange 2007 best practices for transitioning

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos