VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When Do You Storage VMotion?

This more of a best practices question.

But when you do a storage VMotion, do you tend to do it live while the production environmnet is up and running or do you wait until scheduled maintenance?

Just curious, as I have heard its fine to use it live in the environment as it works similar to VMotion where the VM & Guest OS stay online the entire time. Just wanted a second opinion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

its works fine ..really ..lol

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes its fine in a live environment I do all the ttime ..theres is a VI pluggin but we use the Remote CLI. works well

KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use the VI plugin. Havent done it via CLI yet. Still working on learning the CLI commands though.

What is the recommended max Storage VMotions to do at once?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Up to 4 concurrent svmotion / vmotion operations per datastore is supported - page 249 - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_admin_guide.pdf.

gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

4 concurent session

Ypu are beetr useing the interactive option

1) ) Install the remote CLI

2) Change in the bin directort

3_) Run the interactive option .... svmotion.pl -interactive

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info!

And last question, what do you do if heaven forbid a Storage VMotion fails?

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

its works fine ..really ..lol

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I personally knows that it works fine. I just wanted to ask to be sure. As I recently took bunch of flack for running a Storage VMotion on a production server during business hours.

Wanted to cover my bases Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trust me i know What you mean

You you found my info usefeull cosider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Already did. And thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When I was documenting same samples of the smotion command - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/esx_3i_rcli/svmotion.php - I did have some errors going to an NFS share which cause the process to fail. I had 3 or 4 failures and in all cases the VM continued to run fine on the source datastore.

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what I figured would happen. Good know though. Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I remember reading somewhere that it was not technically supported between VMFS and NFS datastores but it might have changed in Update 3

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is performance.

There is a performance hit on reading all of that data off one Datastore and for writing it on another data store. I suspect there will be SCSI reservations as it grows the VMDK file as it comes in, unless it preallocates and then backfills. SCSI reservations are over dramatized but this may be a legitimate case.

Not the question is does the performance hit matter? That is an operational issue not a technical one. Thats why some environments only do Storage VMotion in a maintenance window or out of ours. Others do it at any time. Just because you can do it, does not always mean you should.

Just something to consider in your decision making.

Rodos

Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That could be why its only limited to 4 at a time.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have no qualms about doing it in production hours, I would prefer to wait for a down window, but you rarely get the opportunity when you have the need. I've moved a LOT of them, under heavy use, and had no issue with performance while doing so.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is my thought as well. I work for an accounting firm and it's tax season so downtime is almost impossible. Yesterday I successfully moved all of VMs between datastores with no issues. There was one minor issue, two of the VMs failed to move for some reason, but just as expected when the Storage Vmotion failed, the Vms just kept running on their current datastore. After they failed, I waited for the other Storage VMotions to finish and tried the Vms again and they moved no problem. All that in the middle of the day on production servers. There may have been better alternatives like doing it during downtime, but that is an uphill battle this time of the year.

0 Kudos
rtroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I moved about 40 production virtual machines during business hours with the plugin located here. http://vip-svmotion.wiki.sourceforge.net/ The migration was from our fiber SAN to our iSCSI SAN, everything went very smooth.

0 Kudos
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have a VMware 3.5 update 2 platform and yes sv motion not suppoted between VMFS and NFS filesystems.

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wait, so a Datastore connected via FCP could not Storage VMotion to an NFS Datastore?

0 Kudos