VMware Cloud Community
mmurrin
Contributor
Contributor

What would you classify a high i/o vm?

What would you say a high o/i vm would be? Anything that has over 1000 KBps average write rate?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

I/O can be a challenge to encapsulate into a value. And there are many types of I/O and categories.

Network, Disk, Memory etc. In most cases the common referral is disk I/O. And high I/O is the number of disk function requests either read or write in some period of time commonly Sec's. or Min..

If an app were to make 5000 variable sized disk I/O requests per second this would be considered very high I/O in respect to a single VM.

If you were to place several VMs like this on one host it would have to be carefully tuned for this type of load.

If the requests are very large block transfers then the I/O rate goes down significantly but the through put goes up.

A high end disk subsystem can theoretically perform some where from 75,000 to 125,000 IOPS or higher in the less common high perf systems if the requests are small.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you use built in windows performance tools to view network, disk, memories and cpu to generate your info? You can use free tools like IOmeter search on google.com and fine it. You can use commercial product to monitor your ESX systems using vmSight or Veeam Reporter as well. There are tools out there you have to search and test your specific needs. If you're experience performance bottleneck that's when your I/O problems kicks in. So plan ahead and give plenty of expansion and resources for RAM, CPU, Bandwidth and storage.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA