VMware Cloud Community
antslarson
Contributor
Contributor

What do you recommend for a fast but inexpensive SAN for VMotion?

Hi,

I am soon setting up another VMWare ESX 3.02 Intel Server and want to configure the two VMWare ESX 3.02 Intel Servers with VMotion.

What do you recommend for a fast, easy to setup, but inexpensive SAN for VMotion and another associated equipment, etc.

I'm needing to put this in my budget for 2008.

Thanks,

Anthony

0 Kudos
7 Replies
woodsp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Anthony,

we decided to buy the cheap SAN before buying the extra hosts for VMotion and after going out to tender, we decided upon an EqualLogic iSCSI SAN - models PS100e & PS300e. The performance we have seen is great and the cost was relatively low - about £60,000 in total, including installation/setup - although this is very straight forward.

Thanks,

Paul

===============

please mark the question as helpful if you find it useful.

0 Kudos
anh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you want a supported installation?

If yes, then i can recommend the IBM DS3400 storageunit. Its a 4Gbit FC supporting sata and sas-drives. About $10000 without disks and FC-switch.

If no, then buys a server the amount of disk that you want and install OpenFiler or FreeNAS as a iSCSI-target.

Regards

Anders Hansen

Regards Anders Hansen
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

It all depends on your budget, and what you expect. a cheap SAN would be an openFiler iSCSI, (free) just pay for hardware, but would you use it for Production, probably not.

you could go for a AX150 from DELL/EMC or one of the lower end equalogic or Lefthand, or maybe San Melody

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
moneill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are some very good offers on the IBM DS3400 in the UK, but delivery before end 2007 is a requirement.

Mike

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

Me too recommend IBM DS 3000 or DS4000 Series...

Very good product ... good support etc... supported...

Regards

Jon

0 Kudos
tonyholland_00
Contributor
Contributor

Compellent SAN are cheap and very modular. I would recommend.

0 Kudos
BaesmanITM
Contributor
Contributor

If you are looking for easy to setup, manage and fast and iSCSI is an option. Compellent and EqualLogic are both good choices.

0 Kudos