VMware Cloud Community
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What 10GB iSCSI SAN's are available to buy NOW

What iSCSI SAN's are available that are 10GB or 10-gig (not sure of the exact terminology).

Preferably something available in Australia.

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would suggest being more realistic about what you are looking for.

If 1GB iSCSI is not sufficient for you, look into 8GB fibre.

Although some vendors are bound to operate in the 10GB space, you're looking at early adopters, not big players. There are plenty of vendors out there selling Gigabit SANs whose internal RAID implementation can't even attain wirespeed on dual GB trunks, who are currently on the verge of releasing 10GbE units. Surely you see the pointlessness in this.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

10GB iSCSI is supported under ESX 3.5 Update 1.

I don't know how much more realistic you can get.

Let's not let the thread get taken over by technical specifications.

The question is clearly stated and unfortunately you were unable to help this time.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you actually have no care as to the technical specifications, sure, go and buy:

HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Storage Server

HP NC522SFP Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter

Microsoft iSCSI Target Software 1 LTU

There you go, 10GbE iSCSI SAN, available in Australia. Don't say I didn't try to warn you.

Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting although a little clunky and really it's not a SAN.

For any other people reading this thread I am after an all-in-one solution. A SAN that has built in 10GB iSCSI.

Thanks for pointing this out though.

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Looks like NetApp has supported it for quite a while.

http://www.netapp.com/us/company/news/news_rel_20060927.html

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

10GB iSCSI is supported under ESX 3.5 Update 1.

I don't know how much more realistic you can get.

The question is clearly stated and unfortunately you were unable to help this time.

I think that Josh's answer was quite to the point. 10GB ethernet is an emergin tech. Internals in SANs are not able to provide the thoughput for it. You are looking to buy into a new technology that has no current payback. As mentioned, if you think you need that much bandwidth, 8GB FC will be cheaper and much more mature.

Because a tech is available and supported doesn't mean it is usefull or prudent to get into.

But hey, your money and your shop.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Much appreciated, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Thanks

Troy

VCP3 32846

VSP4 VML-306798

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FFS

Where in my question do I ask "and what are your thoughts on the usefulness of this technology and is it worthwhile buying now"?

NOWHERE

Just another pointless post, IMHO too many people post replies just to increase their post number by 1 and if they're really lucky they might even get aa helpful/correct point assigned to them.

Have a good think next time you post something ... are you de-railing the thread ???

Troy

VCP3 32846

VSP4 VML-306798

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hostile much?

Couldn't care less about post count or points. A whole array of people read those posts. It's always worth pointing out the potential shortcoming of a technology. You don't want answers you don't like? Just call a dealer next time.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Usually when someone posts in a technical forum they expect a technical answer.

Apparently you're more interested crying about getting exactly what you want from the general, unpaid public.

0 Kudos
driehl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Give the guy a break.... and SSD can easily clog 1GB iSCSI, so his question is valid if he doesn't want to mess with overpriced 8GB FC.

In 12 months everyone on here will be talking about their new 10GB iSCSI SAN.

Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the support.

VCP3 32846

VSP4 VML-306798

0 Kudos
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do not use software iSCSI target with 10 Gb disk array?

0 Kudos
Cesarius2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have a Dell PowerEdge 1950, 4GB RAM, SAS with an MD1000 connected through the PERC 5E and OpenFiler Software. It's running quite well. I get a 10g board and 10g switch from DELL.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I much prefer to use enterprise solutions that come with enterprise support.

I've no time or patience to stuff around with "white box" systems that really aren't a SAN and don't have the proper architecture internally.

Let's just say that I work for certain clients that don't have too much of an issue with how much things cost (to an extent). Seeing if 10GB iSCSI is a viable option.

VCP3 32846

VSP4 VML-306798

0 Kudos
gpark3_cs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The short answer, in case you did not get a response, would be (in no particular order, don't work for any of them):

. IBM/NetApp

. HP/LeftHand Networks

. EMC

. BlueArc

. StoneFly

. Intransa

. Nimbus Data Systems

others

I assumed that by "SAN" you mean a system with Enterprise class features with full vendor & 3rd party support, iSCSI connectivity and not "JBOD + an OpenOS".

As long as the math works out - sustainable I/O - the combination of consolidating/containing technologies can be very advantageous.

Typically the bottleneck will be disk but there are various disk options to choose from (FC, SAS, SATA, SSD, etc.).

ESG a while back tested 1GB iSCSI and 4GB FC and found that 1GB iSCSI ran at about 80-85% that of 4GB FC.

With the possibility of a 10 fold increase in host to initiator support to go wide (more hosts vs. single host consumption) 10GB appeals to some.

We have many customers successfully running iSCSI storage solutions as well as FC solutions and perhaps, in the future, FCoE.

Reasons vary from reduction in overhead and opex to consolidation and or containment (like any virtualization solution, IPTel, etc.).

Currently those customers with 10GB capabilities are planning upgrades for their network cores and uplifting their iSCSI in the process.

As long as they have selected a company who has not bolted on iSCSI and can support 10GB in their products they have been successful and happy with the results.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since I created this thread we've planned to go forward with a Equalogic 10GB iSCSI SAN in the first quarter of next year when they are officially released.

Thanks for the info.

VCP3 32846

VSP4 VML-306798

0 Kudos
palm101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since no one mentioned, Sun Storage Unified Storage 7000 series.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Certainly a lot has changed since this thread was started in June.

0 Kudos