VMware Cloud Community
ericsowa
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Tools

We are planning to upgrade our esx patch set and we are looking for a easier way to depoly vmware tools to our windows and linux hosts. We have over 1000 of each hosts. We would like to do a automated deployment. There is a issue which we have come accross is that on linux hosts the network interface hangs and needs a service restart. Can someome please provile ways pople are doing this.

I don't want to have to right click on ever vm and upgrade tools.

Also is there a problem with haveing a newer version of vmware tools than the host. We are using esx 3.5 update 2 and we are going to update 4. Can I install update 4 tools before I upgrade my esx OS.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you thought implementing VMware UPdate Manager? It can handle the VMware tools update for you -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ericsowa
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using vmware update manger now to upgerade windows and linux hosts?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

There are many solutions to upgrade your guests machines, and with VMware Update Manager, you not only upgrade ESX 3.5 hosts automatically, but also allow you to upgrade your windows/linux guests as well and for VMware Tools, you can scripted to upgrade all VMs within the clusters all at once and that saves lots of administrative manual work. We have SMS 2007 server so we do not use VUM for our clients but its doable.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA