VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Planning

I have been work with VMware ESX since 2.5.2. I have 4 ESX host using DAS at one of our smaller datacenters. I am now tasked with planning our VMware environment in our main datacenter. The ESX servers will be connected into our SAN(XP12000). I am looking to take advantage of VMotion, HA, and DRS. I actually have two server tied into the SAN for testing so I am familiar with VMotion, etc. Here is question....What hardware do I purchase.....

I have been looking at the following hardware...We are an HP shop..

DL 360 G5...seems good except for the fact that you only get 2 PCI Express slots. One for the fiber card and one for the NIC.....if I need to add additional network card I do not have an option

DL380 G5 - seems like the best option

ML 370 G5- seems like a little over kill. It give me two extra PCI-Express slots but I think 4 is plenty with the DL380 G5

ML 570 G4...perfect but out of the price range

BL20p-my second choice. Same limit as the DL360 G5...no pci expansion slots

I am also looking for opinions about running more smaller esx servers(2 proc) vs less bigger esx servers(4 proc).

0 Kudos
29 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The initial response is that you can split the license, they are not sure if this is documented and are looking into it further. Of course as mentioned it is not a supported configuration.

0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for following up. That is what I was told as well previously...as stated above, but you never are 100% sure with different things flying around.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Would be nice if someone from VMware would post to this effect, I'm having trouble convincing my reseller that this is a legal configuration.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think they will once they find the documentation. I referenced this thread in my post, right now a product manager is trying to locate the documentation to this effect.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I just got a response from our Pre Sales technical support contact and you can not break your 2CPU licenses across two servers.

1) I hope he bought the story about my friend who had this question Smiley Happy

2) How the hell can you track this in VC? If you have a mix of one and two CPU Starter licenses, for instance, how do you know how many licenses are actually available vs burned because of a EULA stipulation ( bad form! )?

Thank goodness we moved away from our humble beginnings with ESX Starter and single socket machines but others will no doubt be rather PO'd

0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay so I finally talked to VMWare about this. Here is the story. There is conflicting information even within VMWare with respect to the sales department as well as the field technicians. This is the way it is: Because it has never been specifically written to exclude the seperating of a license pack amongst two physical machines then there is nothing they can do about it. On top of that, it cant be determined in VC either. It is not a supported configuration through VMWare however and any sales representative you talk to WILL tell you this is not allowed since its more money in VMWare's pocket.

Reviewing the license agreement you will NOT be held accountable in such a situation since far to much is left open to interupretation. Without a specific written clause that states "under no circumstances is a single license pack allowed to be split amongst two physical servers, each with one (1) single processor without breaking the agreements set herein" or to that extent it will not hold up in a court and as such, good luck faulting someone for it, especially when the product you use to manage the software can not distinguish the difference either. Its very easy to plead ignorance especially with no set defined answer from the company themselves.

Compare VMWare's license agreement with that of Microsoft's OS agreements and you will see the difference Im refering to. A real gray area yes, and personally I think if VMWare was to enforce this, well actually I know...they would be losing LOTS of customers to other upcoming technologies like Virtual Iron. Not as pretty sure, not the same features and ease of use per say, but more then ideal for LOTS and LOTS of customers wanting to start into virtualization, for a fraction of the cost. It would suit many customers just fine for their needs.

As I have stated before such a case is greed. They dont make the money on the hardware so it dosent matter to them. If a customer is only going to buy one license, regardless of whether they buy two machines, VWware is not making any more money on the sale so its pointless. The customer would then simply say "well Im buying only one license pack so I guess I will just a buy a single server with two processors instead of one and beef up other redundancy offerings" Yes excluding advanced functionality but you understand what I am saying. On top of that, they would probably less likely to spend the extra on standard or enterprise for the additional functionality like vmotion or HA/DRS.

Its pretty simple really.

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hopefully, this helps for those out there still debating this issue...

Technically, it works.

Legally, the wording is grey and the jury is still out.

Bottom-line: It is not supported. Excerpt from VMware ESX Server 3 documentation:

Minimum Server Hardware Requirements

You need the following hardware and system resources to install and use ESX Server.

At least two processors[/b]:

• 1500 MHz Intel Xeon and later, or AMD Opteron (32-bit mode) for ESX Server

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the comments. I think VMware is in for a whole overhaul of their licensing scheme now that quad-core processors are out and who knows what the limit is, 8-core and beyond will probably happen. They can't afford to continue using per socket licensing now that the processors have gotten so advanced and have so many cores. I think it's just a matter of time before they adjust their licensing like IBM and Oracle already have. It's admirable that they have stuck with their per socket licensing for so long but they will need to change soon if they want to keep making money.

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6119618.html

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interesting response and article. Thank you. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to figuring out what the future holds. Hopefully, the decision-makers at VMware will keep things as simple as possible.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Indeed, let's hope they do not go the IBM route, processor value units confused the heck out of their customers...

http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/services/cwepassport.nsf/wdocs/pvu_licensing_for_customers

0 Kudos