VMware Cloud Community
El_Faraon
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Oem Licences vs Vmware Retail Licences

Hello Guys,

I work in a Vmware Partner and we have a serious problem selling Vmware Licences, the issue is that the oem Parners like HP/IBM/DELL sells oem licences too. The problems is not this, the problem is that the full licences for Vi3.x are moooooooooore cheaper than the licences provided for a certified partners like us.

I know that the diference is that the support, Vmware licences has got the Vmware Support (if you purchased it) and the oem has the oem support, in this case, we always lost the oportunities because the licences are arround 1000 us down us. Its imposible sell Vmware licences from a Vmware Certified Partner.

Are you in the same issue?

How can you resolve it?

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Come and sell in the UK Smiley Wink

VMWare like loads of other stuff here can only be purchased through a reseller, retail is all we can buy,

Even with hardware, there is no point in buying it direct,

If I buy a server off HP if will be overpriced and have like a six week eta.

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

It can be done.

Have you spoken to the channel team from VMware in your region to get some tips and hear what other partners in your area are doing.

One thing you have not mentioned is VMware Purchase Program (VPP). If a customer is going to have an ongoing strategy for VI they will want to consider there license strategy as well. With the VPP they continue to get discounts beyond their initial purchase.

Also for smaller sites do not forget the Acceleration Kits, they can be great value.

After talking to your channel guys if you want some further tips PM me.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not sure of the other OEMs, but HP sells VMware licensing with one year 9x5 SnS bundled (with step-up packages to 24x7), whereas the VMware SKUs split the product and support. Keep in mind that this makes a big difference in the pricing. Also remember that support of some kind is mandatory with all VMware VI purchases.

Going on list pricing, I've always found the VMware and HP OEM pricing to be pretty close. With three-year support options, it tends to swing towards OEM licensing for us. When we factor in the large discounts one gets from OEMs (particularly on software) on larger deals, OEM licensing tends to be less expensive more often than not in our case. (Yes, in our case, we do pass the savings on Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
El_Faraon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the issue is, HP has arround 15 % cheaper than a Vmware Reseller. Here is imposible sell it, all buys the oem licences, one because its more cheaper,second, the oem makes discounts in the hard and puts the vmware licences into it.

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ah, sorry, misunderstood. Thought you came from the other end of the spectrum. We're fortunate in that we also sell hardware, so we win both ways.

0 Kudos