VMware Cloud Community
pnarducci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtuozzo Comparison

I've been asked to evaluate replacing our VI 3 environment with Virtuozzo. Is there an unbiased document comparing the two products? I'd like to see features, costs, pros, cons, etc. We are a Windows 2003 shop with a mix between Standard and Enterprise edition. I know this question has probably been asked a ton of times, but everything I have found seems to be sponsored by one company or the other.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Massimo has a high-level comparison on his site ().

The biggest problem I've seen with Virtuozzo (soon to be rebranded as "Parallels Containers") is that all VMs on a host must be running the exact same version of OS - same service pack, same patch level. If you can meet that requirement, it might be a good fit for you.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Massimo has a high-level comparison on his site ().

The biggest problem I've seen with Virtuozzo (soon to be rebranded as "Parallels Containers") is that all VMs on a host must be running the exact same version of OS - same service pack, same patch level. If you can meet that requirement, it might be a good fit for you.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Best is you look in the virtuozzo forum, and look at the problem the end user are describing.;)

Second think about the processor roadmaps of intel and amd. If you look at this you will see nic and disk i/o virtualizaion in hardware in 2009.

The overhead with amd iommu and intel vt-d will reduce the overhead for hypervisior.

For a homogen Webserver Farm virtuozzo is a good solution. For heterogen application servers it is not.

Think about, that Microsoft is one of the the biggest customer of vmware!!!

How many of the Top 100 companies use virtuozzo?? Ask them. Vmware is used by 100 % of the top 100 companies.

Main problem with all virtualization is you would need fault tolerant system for your esx host. If a host is faulty you have downtime for multiple application servers. Think about 20 , 40 , 60 ,or 80 applications servers are down, because the host has a problem. Yes VMware HA can reboot your VM's

but you have down time. Although think about applications, which run not as a service. This application will not run after the reboot. You have to manually start the application in the vm.

meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Maybe the url is interessting

virtuozzo forum