VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtualizing SQL and Exchange

Can any give their comments on Why or Why Not virtualize SQL and Exchange. We are a shop of 105 users that don't hit things very hard and we are looking for some SOLID proof either way. Any comment or suggestion wold be appreciated very much. THanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Just some points:

- You CAN virtualize both things

- Plan very well the memory/cpu/storage provisioning for your servers

- Do not try to take milk from stones - try not to overcommint so much your environment

I can safely tell you that I already saw MANY environments running this kind of applications.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with MArcelo there is no reason why you can't virtualized sql and exchange - I have seen many large implementations fo SQL and Exchange done with out any problems -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Navy is a good a example for exchange.

www.vmware.com/files/pdf/.../09Q3_cs_vmw_NMCI_Exchange_english.pdf

United States Navy Marine Corps virtualizes 700,000+ Microsoft Exchange users to Achieve Mission Critical Reliability :smileycool:

http://communities.vmware.com/post!reply.jspa?threadID=260573

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To everyone who responded i say thank you. A couple more questions if i could. Although i do know that youcan virtualize Exchange and SQL, i was curious if there were any "limits" to where you might think of NOT virtualizing. One reason that i ask is that we are looking into a network monitoring tool (Orion) and it is recommended that it not be virtualized. I was curious why that might be. I understand that there is a lot of traffic but since we are a snall shop i thouhgt that might not matter. Currently we have all SQL virualized but not Exchange but we are getting ready to make that switch as well. I am curious at what point one might not want to virtualize those two apps. Any other comments are appreciated. Once again thank you all for the outstanding info. <!Session data>

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I recommend not making the monitoring tool dependent on the things that you are monitoring. If you have it in a VM, put it in a separate cluster on a separate SAN.

As for what limits of when not to virtualize. I have not run into any yet. We have SQL DB' at 350 GB's. I know that Exchange has been installed in ESX with up to 500,000 mailboxes. I don't have more details on that though.

Charles Killmer, VCP4

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input Chuck. Does anyone else have any comments about putting a NetMon tool on a VM? We are getting ready to get this done and i would like to have a better feeling about this. My feelings are that the size of our shop isn't going to hit this SQL server that hard to make a difference and that's whay i woul dlike to put it on a VM. If we can virtualize 100,000 exchange users i would think we could virtualize this type of app as well. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks agai to all that have replied and i must say that this is a Great site!! Thanks!

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Marcelo,

What exactly do you mean by "don't overcommit so much"??

0 Kudos