VMware Cloud Community
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VirtualCenter Server Clone

Good afternoon,

I seem to have a mental block this afternoon, hopefully you can help me out. I did a P2V of my VirtualCenter server as part of a testing before I go to 2.0.2. Some more info:

Production VirtualCenter server name: VCSERV1

Cloned VirtualCenter server name: VCSERV1-Cloned

When I was about to connect to VCSERV1-Cloned (with my VI Client), I just remembered that the the cloned VC will have the inventory of all of my production ESX Host in it. My question is: will this effect my production hosts? Will this cloned VC try to send an install-agent command to the ESX hosts?

As far as I can remember, it should only give a message of the host is already registered and it should fail.

Sorry for the simple question, but it's been a long weekend.

Thank you,

Have a great day,

jandie

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Two VC servers with 2 different DB (MSDE)???

It's hard (or impossible) to keep all syncronized. I suggest you to put the db server on a separate vm.

jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Masaki,

I was not trying to keep it synched, but rather wanted to know if I start the cloned virtual center server would it start taking over the hosts from the original one. I actually did it (powered on the cloned VC and logged in to the VC service) and it only showed the hosts being disconnnected - so that was good. It didn't grab the hosts from the production box, but rather grab the info from the DB. Maybe I didn't explain the question good enough, and I apologize for that. Anyways, thank you for taking the interest.

Have a great day,

jandie

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I started the cloned VC server and logged in to the VC service. All of the hosts from the production VC was shown as disconnected. It grabbed the information from the local DB instead of connecting to the hosts.

Thank you,

jandie

0 Kudos