VMware Cloud Community
henrydenhengst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual VLANing instead of Physical VLANing

I am looking for people that have implemented Virtual VLANing instead of Physical VLANing on ESX3.x

Please share your experiences. Anything you ran into, like or dislike about this Virtual way of making use of VLANs.

Thanx!

Message was edited by:

henrydenhengst

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We have VLAN configured as well (about 10 per ESX server), we have been running this way since VMware added support for this in ESX 2.0.1. As far as I know we have never had any issue related to this config.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Virtual Switches do not do VLANing.

They simply have the ability to tag and untag and route dotQ VLAN tagged packets.

Perhaps I do not understand your question

Message was edited by:

BrianG

0 Kudos
henrydenhengst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The virtual switches in ESX Server 3 support VLAN (IEEE 802.1Q)

trunking. Using VLANs, you can enhance security and leverage

your existing network infrastructures with ESX Server.

For maintaince I plan to use the esx3_vlan_wp.pdf paper.

I look for people to share their experience with implementing, as in best practise.

0 Kudos
InfoStewards
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've found it is a easy way to get multiple VLAN segments into an VM when combined with the e1000 virtualDev and the Intel ProSet vlan drivers, and to use only one of the pSwitch ports and one VM ethernet device doing so.

aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you can define vlan ID on virtual switch

you must have a dotQ enabled physical switch to use it

in this way you can create portgroup in the same vswitch that route packet of differen separate lans

hth

mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have virtual switches with multiple port groups (VLANs) configured without any problem.

Remeber to configure the port(s) on your physical switch(es) to be a VLAN trunk port.

Chris

0 Kudos
zaznet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have hundreds of VLANs, but these are physical VLANs just implimented as VLAN tagging on the vswitch level following migration P2V. With VMotion, everything tends to work fine.

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We have VLAN configured as well (about 10 per ESX server), we have been running this way since VMware added support for this in ESX 2.0.1. As far as I know we have never had any issue related to this config.

0 Kudos