VMware Cloud Community
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware load tests

What do you guys think of load tests done by VMware? i.e

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/978

Do they run other VM's on the benchmarked machine or not? My guess is no...

Interested to see what you guys think.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

I think such figures are a useful guideline but, in practice, I would not expect to get the same results as they do in these tests. Not least because, as you say, they probably don't run any other VMs on the same hosts.

I would put my comfort margin at 30-35% less than such test figures, assuming other things (such as no other VMs being run) being equal. That is, if I wanted to do exactly the same thing in production and my required load/performance was more than 65-70% of theirs, I would want to do my own tests. If I only required 50% of what they say is possible, I would probably be less worried.

Having said that, in this particular case where they are talking about thousands of users, it would be prudent to do one's own tests even if you're within your comfort margin.

Chris

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Kinda of what i think.

For us as the product evangelists it would be better for the guys to publish more results that do utilise things such as Loadsim and other simulated platforms on other instances.

I wonder how they benchmark LPAR's in the UNIX world, although this is a different architecture i find it atonishing people are comfy with running in a partioned world on UNIX but when you partition almost with ESX perception changes Smiley Happy

0 Kudos